Fermzilla - room temp lager fermentation under pressure (but not TOO much pressure!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanPM

Reaction score
Hi all. This is connected to this post: The best way to bottle under pressur

So the question I'm now trying to figure out is, is it possible to brew lager under pressure using the fermzilla at room temp (around 20c) and get all the residual benefits of fermenting lager under pressure BUT NOT so much pressure as to carbonate the lager to the extent that it can't be bottled; thus being able to still do secondary fermentation in bottles using sugar?

i.e. is there a PSI and process that could give me the best of both worlds?

Hi Sean, at that temp 20c it's not a lager in the true sense, i ferment in my all rounders at 20c and plus under pressure, i put the wort in pitch the yeast and apply 10 psi then open the spunding valve and set it at 5 psi then disconnect the gas so in effect the valve acts as an airlock and the beer ferments as it would in a bucket, i don't bottle i keg but if i did i would rig up a bottling gun remove the spunding valve apply gas, the experts will be along shortly, hope this helps you

Hi Sean, at that temp 20c it's not a lager in the true sense, i ferment in my all rounders at 20c and plus under pressure, i put the wort in pitch the yeast and apply 10 psi then open the spunding valve and set it at 5 psi then disconnect the gas so in effect the valve acts as an airlock and the beer ferments as it would in a bucket, i don't bottle i keg but if i did i would rig up a bottling gun remove the spunding valve apply gas, the experts will be along shortly, hope this helps you
Thanks. I appreciate it won't be a 'true' lager, but I'm not a purist. The reason I bought the fermizilla is because I understand you can achieve similar results at room temp in less time under pressure without the off flavours that you otherwise get.

But I don't want to carbonate the lager to the point at which it's not bottle-able. So the question I'm asking is, for those that have experience brewing [fake] lager using pressure, is there a sweet spot in terms of PSI that will allow me to ferment at room temp but not end up with a full carbonated drink.

Yes as above, then i keg it and put it on gas at 20psi in the fridge for a week minimum if it's a bitter set at 10 psi, or use this calculator Beer Priming Sugar Calculator | Brewer's Friend, the main reason for a fermzilla is for oxygen free transfer to avoid the off flavours which you touch on in your post, the above method i use my beer is never carbonated before i transfer, this may help you

Latest posts

Back