First AG Brew day tomorrow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LloydV

Reaction score
I'm shaping up to have my first proper brew day tomorrow, there is 2 recipes that I've come up with that I would like outside opinions on, one for tomorrow and one for a couple of weeks time.

Recipe 1 - I'm hoping for a slightly darker spicy / coffee hit to it
5kg Maris otter
500g Crystal Malt - or 500 crushed barley (or 250 both)
250g Black Malt (not 100% sure about this amount)
35g Fuggles pellets 60 mins
15g Epic hops 20 mins
15g Epic hops 10 mins
1/2tspn Irish moss 15 mins
10g Epic hops 5 mins
10g Epic hops dry hopped 3 days in to ferment

Recipe 2 - Looking at a lighter more citrus beer here.
5kg Maris Ootter
500g Crystal Malt
35g Fuggles pellets 60 mins
20g Citra 10 mins
1/2tspn irish moss 15 mins
10g Citra 5 mins
20g Citra dry hopped 3 days in to ferment

So any feedback appreciated do not make a huge cock up for my first brew!

I would suggest moving the 30 min hops to 20 min for more flavour or 60 for more bitterness or a mix of both (30 is just sub optimal for both) and lower the irish moss to 1/3rd tsp though am fairly new myself. Both will be strong beers over 6% ABV (assuming 23l batches) I assume thats what you are aiming for. 250g of black malt if fine if you want it black the crushed barley would be better alongside the black malt I read but have never used it. My 1st go (and a few since) was just maris otter and crystal and was very good if you want to keep it simple.

thanks simon - that makes some sense there - I have adjusted the above to reflect some changes

edited and simplified slightly on number 2 and gone with that - its in the mash tun now and smelling amazing

My only advice on your first AG would be to make plenty of notes during your brew day! Combined with plenty more tasting notes when its ready... Then you'll be able to refine and perfect your beers. :cheers:

Back