First AG brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galvers

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my first AG brew, using the GH Single Hopped Ale recipe for 11.5L. I decided to do a 1/2 batch to test out the set up, which is a 5 gallon mash tun and batch sparged, into a (shiny new) Brewtech Brewmaster kettle.

IMG_1759[584].jpg

Bar a few minor problems, I managed to get to within a couple of points of target, which I was really pleased with. As it was a 1/2 batch, I didn't use a yeast starter. This morning, there's action in the FV, so fingers crossed this continues!

"Minor" problems, which I'd appreciate comments, esp for scaling up...
= Obvs the grain bill will be higher for 23L batch, so expect to batch sparge twice (original + 2) in order to fit grain and water into the 5 gallon tun. Sound about right?
= I'll need to juggle my water requirements for the full batch, as with one kettle, I'll need to keep large stock pots hot on the kitchen hob.
= My PH came out at 5.13. Think I'll undercook water additions next time to see what happens.
= I think my biggest error, was picking up too much trub into the FV*. In hindsight, foolishly, I manually whirlpooled the kettle during transfer to FV. I reckon this just mixed everything together. Next time, I'll whirlpool manually with the chiller but allow trub to settle before transfer. Also, I'll better angle the pick up tube to keep higher during transfer and adjust as wort reduces. I would esp welcome comments on how others use their SS Brewtech Brewmaster kettle, appreciating I don't have a auto whirlpool set up. Is it worth getting one?!
= * on the too much trub in FV - I plan to leave it in during fermentation. Mixed reports, with some saying it doesn't matter.

Overall, I really enjoyed it! Next up is an NEIPA. Welcome your thoughts, comments, observations etc.

Mike

Latest posts

Back