First AG going right now

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybabsy

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm in the middle of my first AG- the liquor water is coming to temp. how do I know how much of it to add to the MT for doughing in? I read somewhere that a ratio of 2.5 L per kilo of grain is good? what do you all think?

thanks

Are you batch sparging? Personally I use a combination of Beer Engine, and the batch sparge calculator from the calculators section on this forum.

If you're fly sparging then I guess you'd just use the amount specified in Beer Engine. I think that is 2.5l/kg though as you suggest.

thx-

I'm making a wheat beer- just about to put my grains into the MT and realised the wheat flakes aren't crushed- should I give them a bash?

thx

Honestly I don't know. I made my second AG yesterday and I had the same fright moment with my flaked barley, but I just went ahead anyway as it was too late to do anything else.

Bitlate for you but mash liquor ratio does not matter that much, there is an article where the guy went to 6:1 with no adverse affect. I regularly go to 3.5:1 and 4:1 just to avoid stuck mashes (use HERMs)

Enjoy the brew and check them taps are shut! :thumb:

thx guys- its boiling away now- how do I know when the hot break is over and I can add my first hops and start timing?

Latest posts

Back