1st timer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igsy

Reaction score
I am about to make my first homebrew with a starter kit. This will make 23 litres of lager. I have researched and read the instructions but I am hesitant around the carbonation stage.
I will be bottling the brew in 500ml plastic bottles ordered and it says to add one teaspoon of sugar to each bottle.
I have researed you can buy carbonation tablets and add these but I am interested in going with the priming sugar and water method.
My question is would you recommend this method and how much sugar to water ratio do you add to the finished brew before bottling? And also is there a correct temp for the solution before adding?
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum
First it is a little hot to set a kit off especially Lager(which kit is it) as the ambient temp is in the mid to high 20's.
It maybe dropping in the next few days, I am assuming you have not a fermentation fridge being new to the hobby so find a cool consistent temperature place in the house garage etc.
I personally would use normal sugar to carbonate with a teaspoon and funnel to get it in each bottle. I would use a teaspoon and level this off with the back of a knife Ps this is not scientific but others will also give their takes on what to do

Thanks, I was recommended the forum and glad I've joined.
It's a bulldog brews kit.
No I haven't got a fermentation fridge but if this brew goes well I would like to get to that stage in the future.
Thanks for the advice, I will try this method then and be sure to keep the thread updated on the results

Thanks, I was recommended the forum and glad I've joined.
It's a bulldog brews kit.
No I haven't got a fermentation fridge but if this brew goes well I would like to get to that stage in the future.
Thanks for the advice, I will try this method then and be sure to keep the thread updated on the results
I agree with the baron, keep it simple initially. When bottling i use a secondary container with dissolved sugar so that when I Syphon onto it it's distributed evenly through the batch and then bottle from there, but you can look to complicate things later when you have some experience.

O

Welcome

If you're going with the batch priming method, you will need a barrel or second fermenting vessel to mix the sugar into your beer. You would then siphon from there into your bottles.

Another way to prime, and it's the one that I prefer personally, is to use sugar sticks (the sugar in a paper package you see in hotels etc.). These are as cheap as chips on ebay and I find one stick per bottle gives me perfect carbonation. The results are also completely consistent across all bottles.

I’m brewing kits for the past 3 years. I still have just a very basic set up. One thing I did do was bought a second tap for my secondary brewing bucket. This is a game changer. I no longer have to siphon. I make up my kit, pop in up to our airing cupboard where there is a steady 20-22 degrees C all year round. I leave it for 2-3 weeks only disturbing it to add dry hops which I add in a hop sock weighted down with some marbles.
On bottling day I take down the fermentation bucket and put it on the table. I carefully remove the hop sock and I sanitise the secondary fermentation bucket and place it on the floor. I get a clear sanitised hose and attach it to the tap on my fermentation bucket into the second bucket. I boil up 400ml of water and add 100-120g of sugar to dissolve and then add it to the bottom of my second bucket. Following this I simply open the tap and the beer transfers over. I then lift the second bucket up onto the table. Give it a very gentle stir. Attach my bottling wand and bottle away.
Good luck. You will refine your own process and find what works best for you.
I’ve have had great success so far. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitised.

I’m brewing kits for the past 3 years. I still have just a very basic set up. One thing I did do was bought a second tap for my secondary brewing bucket. This is a game changer. I no longer have to siphon. I make up my kit, pop in up to our airing cupboard where there is a steady 20-22 degrees C all year round. I leave it for 2-3 weeks only disturbing it to add dry hops which I add in a hop sock weighted down with some marbles.
On bottling day I take down the fermentation bucket and put it on the table. I carefully remove the hop sock and I sanitise the secondary fermentation bucket and place it on the floor. I get a clear sanitised hose and attach it to the tap on my fermentation bucket into the second bucket. I boil up 400ml of water and add 100-120g of sugar to dissolve and then add it to the bottom of my second bucket. Following this I simply open the tap and the beer transfers over. I then lift the second bucket up onto the table. Give it a very gentle stir. Attach my bottling wand and bottle away.
Good luck. You will refine your own process and find what works best for you.
I’ve have had great success so far. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitised.
Nice tips. Thanks.
I use a bottling wand as well. For my first few brews I attached it directly to the tap.
Now I had a plastic tube between the tap and the wand. It allows me greater control, since I don't have to hold the bottle up to the wand tip.
Not sure if you're doing that?
Re the adding sugar to the fermented brew before bottling: do you adjust the amount of sugar to the volume of liquor?

Many thanks

Matt

Nice tips. Thanks.
I use a bottling wand as well. For my first few brews I attached it directly to the tap.
Now I had a plastic tube between the tap and the wand. It allows me greater control, since I don't have to hold the bottle up to the wand tip.
Not sure if you're doing that?
Re the adding sugar to the fermented brew before bottling: do you adjust the amount of sugar to the volume of liquor?

Many thanks

Matt
I have always done 23 litre kits. A mix between Coopers, Festival, Mangrove Jacks etc. I have also done a few full extract kits. For IPA’s, Ales etc I use 100-120g mixed with 400 ml of water to batch prime. For Wheat beers I use 180g of sugar to batch prime. I’ve done around 26 brews now and that seems to work well.

I am about to make my first homebrew with a starter kit. This will make 23 litres of lager. I have researched and read the instructions but I am hesitant around the carbonation stage.
I will be bottling the brew in 500ml plastic bottles ordered and it says to add one teaspoon of sugar to each bottle.
I have researed you can buy carbonation tablets and add these but I am interested in going with the priming sugar and water method.
My question is would you recommend this method and how much sugar to water ratio do you add to the finished brew before bottling? And also is there a correct temp for the solution before adding?
Thanks in advance
Don't bother with carbonation drops they're the biggest rip off on God's earth. If you're using sugar, just put a level teaspoonful of sugar in each bottle. I've been doing this for decades without the slightest hitch. If you have a jewellers scale, aim for a teaspoonful of about 4g in 500 ml and 4.5 fit your lager, but if you haven't, don't worry. Priming your bottles evenly is past of the skill of being a home brewer.
As you're using plastic bottles you don't need to worry about over carbonating. You'll get it right after a few goes.

Back