First AG mini brew Sierra Nevada Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-os

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having got the toys and the kitchen to myself I thought it was time to play...

5l AG brew
1kg pale malt
110g Crystal malt
1.2g Magnum and 4.5g Perle at 60min
6.5g cascade @15min
5g cascade at 0min
and
5g cascade dry hop to come
US-05 at 20c

Target OG 1.052, actual 1.052..... well pleased, had to add about 300ml water to bring up volume and reduce SG.

Found the whole process quite straightforward, but a little hard to keep the mash temperature up with such a small volume even when well wrapped up, had to apply a little heat to maintain temperatures. Not helped by a thermometer that decided to play up and give 5deg different readings, so hopefully OK as the SG seems to be right and good colour in the sample tube.

time will tell i guess.. got the bug though... feels more "real" than beer in a can :grin:

got to go and transfer brew 2 now..... :doh:

2015-10-24 16.54.06.jpg

Be very interested to hear how close you rate this to SNPA. :thumb:

this seems to be stuck.... 1018, have done all the "usual"

is shaken, stirred and otherwise got some air and yeast back into circulation, repitched a little fresh yeast 48h ago but no action... not leaking FV either, sealed tighter than a duck

Stuck ferments can be a PITA. Only so much you can do. Be patient I guess...

Have you tried warming it up to low 20s, like 22c? US-05 doesn't flocculate out very easily, but I'd still swirl the fermenting vessel anyway.

EDIT: you've already hit 22c, I see.....

If it doesn't move any more, I would personally try dry hopping and bottling it on the assumption that your mash temperature was quite far off. In my opinion you are better with slightly sweeter beer than beer that has staled due to opening the lid and allowing oxygen in. I bet it probably tastes great.

I was thinking bottling in plastic just in case

It tastes ok, but think I will have to do another to be fair to it, obviously taste will improve with some carbonation .

Cleared quite well really.... but will give another shake up I think first

Back