First attempt with new kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
Since my equipment will be arriving soon I've been devising a reasonably simple recipe. The aim is to give myself a bit of leeway because I don't really know what efficiency I'll get, how much will remain in the mash tun/ boiler etc. I think the following should be drinkable if the original gravity at fermentation starts somewhere between 1.032 and 1.045. Please let me know what you think...

First Try Bitter

Batch size: 22 Litres

Grain bill:
Maris Otter pale malt: 3.5 Kg
Torrified wheat: 500g
Colour 100 crystal malt (warminster) 250g

Hops (just added at start of boil - keep it simple!):
East Kent Goldings 30g
Cascade 15g

Salts (mash)
6g Gypsum
2g Common salt
Salts (Boil)
1.5 Epsom
3g Gypsum

Yeast: Safale S04

Mash:
67c for 1 hour.
10 litres water (roughly 2.3 Litres/Kg)
Fly sparge to make 25litres to boil (ish)

Boil:
1 hour with Iris moss. Estimated boil loss = 3 litres.

Sounds like a nice easy brew to start with - a good way to christen your new shiny stuff! Have you used a recipe tool? Should give a good idea of SG and ABV...

I kind of formulated the recipe in my head then found a recipe tool to check it with (just as well, since I started off with 100g of hops).
I'm a Linux user, found an application called "Brewtarget" in the repository and used that...
The OG should be around 1.037*. FG = 1.009. ABV = 3.6. IBU = 29.7. Colour = 7.

*I'm hoping for more than that, since it's based on 70% efficiency.

I kind of formulated the recipe in my head then found a recipe tool to check it with (just as well, since I started off with 100g of hops).
I'm a Linux user, found an application called "Brewtarget" in the repository and used that...
The OG should be around 1.037*. FG = 1.009. ABV = 3.6. IBU = 29.7. Colour = 7.

*I'm hoping for more than that, since it's based on 70% efficiency.

70% efficiency is a good figure to start with because until you start to get to know your kit your probably going to get a lower efficiency than you will a few brews down the line when you've figure eveything out. My first BIAB I go something like 60%

Remember if you do get a massive efficiency on your first go and really overshoot your OG you can dilute it down to more like your target if you want to using a dilution calculator

Latest posts

Back