first batch on a go slow?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islaybrew

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at making cider and after 10 days it seems to have just given up, i'll go through how and what I have used.

started with freshly squeezed apples, not sure what type but there where 3 different ones, varying from sweet to what I guess is cooking, so after I got my 3 5 litre demi John's of juice I added 1 campden tablet to each and left for 24 hours. I then added enough sugar to take it up to a SG of 1.050 and added 2 teaspoons of yeast to each one and put on my airlock. they started bubbling very slowly after about 2 days and I thought all was well but it's now been 10 days and bubbling is very few and far between also I tested the SG again an it hasn't budged at all really, not really sure where i'm going wrong.

should I just wait it out?

I thought the campden tablets stunned the yeast, as well as adding preserving qualities ?

I've never made cider from the actual fruit so far but loads on here have, I'm sure someone will be along to give some advice at some stage 😃

hopfully someone will be able to shed some light on it as i'm pretty stumped. don't really want to be going and adding more yeast if I don't have to. I have now tried just waking the wee beasties up by shaking the bottle as I read it maybe in a stuck fermentation. we shall see, might end up racking into a fresh jar and starting again.

Back