First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, putting too much water in is a real mistake - not mixing enough, etc. won't do too much harm.
But, yes, it'll be weaker (both abv and taste) than it should be.
There are things you could do, but I'd just finish it and get another one on.

Yeah, that's it, just go with it for now. If it's too thin well sort it out after :-) keep it in the first,give it a taste post fermentation and see where it stands :-)

RobWalker said:
Yeah, that's it, just go with it for now. If it's too thin well sort it out after :-) keep it in the first,give it a taste post fermentation and see where it stands :-)

What can you do afterwards ?

Thanks fore the replies again guys... Such a great supportive forum...

Totally kicking myself... It got late the night I did it due to forgetting to sterilise the bucket I was going to usetot remove the chlorine from the water. So took extra time getting that ready. Next time won't make these silly mistakes... Grrr...

Got Star San on order and buying bottled water next time to take pressure off...

dx4100 said:
RobWalker said:

Fermenting some light dme in will recover some body and abv. Won't have to be much for 3l as most full extract brews only need about 2kg of it. Hoping bitterness won't really matter for 3l either...

RobWalker said:
dx4100 said:
RobWalker said:

Fermenting some light dme in will recover some body and abv. Won't have to be much for 3l as most full extract brews only need about 2kg of it. Hoping bitterness won't really matter for 3l either...

I could pick some up in the morning... Just noticed there is a brew shop near where I am going n the morning. What type do I need ? I am up for doing it if you think it's a good idea ?

Edit: Medium spray malt ?

Well, see what it's like first I would - it might not need anything and fiddling with it can easily turn a good brew into a bad one, but if you need to pick some up just get 500g light dme.

dx4100 said:

Totally kicking myself... It got late the night I did it due to forgetting to sterilise the bucket I was going to usetot remove the chlorine from the water. So took extra time getting that ready. Next time won't make these silly mistakes... Grrr...

Got Star San on order and buying bottled water next time to take pressure off...

Relax dx - you shouldn't feel pressure to make a perfect brew quickly. It's a learning process and I'm fully prepared to pour a failure down the drain - I'll still learn from my mistakes (I think my first all grain brew may head that way - time will tell). Don't start thinking you need perfect equipment and bottled spring water blessed by semi naked water nymphs. Just have some fun and see where you go.

Zaust said:
dx4100 said:

Relax dx - you shouldn't feel pressure to make a perfect brew quickly. It's a learning process and I'm fully prepared to pour a failure down the drain - I'll still learn from my mistakes (I think my first all grain brew may head that way - time will tell). Don't start thinking you need perfect equipment and bottled spring water blessed by semi naked water nymphs. Just have some fun and see where you go.

Semi naked water nymphs :). Love it :)

Just checked on the brew and it's starting to smell a bit more like beer now :)

And also found a brew shop reasonably close by so off out to choose my next kit later if I get the time :)

When I bootle what temp shoud I store the bothers at ?

Store them warm for a week, 20 ish to give the yeast a chance to get the secondary fermentation done and carbonate the beer. Then move to cool - whatever you have - mine's in a cupboard in the garage for conditioning

Went to my local brew shop to pick up my next kit...

Talked to the owner of the shop and they have talked me into sticking in some malts. Bought some Medium malt and been told to stick in about 500g... They said I would be best getting a coupe of pints out of the FV and mix it into that and then pour it back in and gently stair.

Thoughts ?

Time to be brave me thinks :)

At this point it would just make it stronger. I'd leave it for now. Did you buy a single or double can kit for next time - if single use the malt instead of sugar in that.

I thought sugar would add abv but malt would also add body ?

Got the two tin Woodford's Admiral Reserve

Brewing sugar is a 50 50 mix that boosts abv without changing the brew much. Sugar will make it drier, malt will add more body. Add your combination according to your taste!

Err by the way, taking fermenting beer out of the fv is not a good idea, boil it in a pint of water instead then stir it in. Taking it out will expose it to all sorts of dangers!

Ok I decided in the end to leave it well alone and see what t turns out lie. Sorry for keep changing my mind :)

Dave1970 said:
Store them warm for a week, 20 ish to give the yeast a chance to get the secondary fermentation done and carbonate the beer. Then move to cool - whatever you have - mine's in a cupboard in the garage for conditioning

Will leave the bottles in the fermentation fridge for a week and then bung them under the stars which is coolish. Then it frees up the fridge for the next brew :)

I am fermenting at 19c so is it wise to stick to 19 for the secondary or is it by the by...

Also what is cool ? 10-15c ?

Latest posts

Back