First kit bottled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey76

Reaction score
It's taken me a while, but I've eventually got round to bottling my first two kits.

Wherry and St Peters Ruby Red. they were started on 04 Aug, and finished about a week later, but I just haven't found the time for all of the sterilising and washing which comes with the bottling.

However I was spurred on today by the arrival of another two FVs, and to be honest I can see why people recommend leaving the brews for at least a fortnight.

The sediment was a very tight pack, and although I siphoned into a bottling bucket so I could batch prime, both brews are practically clear out of the FV.

I ended up with a full 23L for the St Peters, and I ended up using a 1L PET and 75cl flip top as well as 40 500ml pet bottles. The extra bottles I used are clear, but hopefully, as there is no direct sunlight in the garage they'll be OK... though I might wrap them in newspaper anyway. They'll also be the first ones I sample, perhaps on my birthday at the beginning of Dec!

Both look and smell divine and I can't wait to get stuck in!

Both brewing vessels are soaking in VWP and I plan to have a brew day tomorrow as the weather has finally broken, and the temps are more reasonable than 35°C!

Well done.
Red Ruby improves wonderfully after 4 weeks.... Did it drop a big deposit in the FV ? Mine did so on second brew I racked into 2nd FV for a couple of weeks again dropped a big deposit the bottles however are as clean as... something that's very clean...

Also found my fv held onto the smell of the RRA and took a good couple of soaks ( first in bleach and then in VWP ) to get rid of it.

Not awfully big, a little less than half an inch; but it was very compact. Hardly budged at all when I put the siphon tip on the bottom.

This is the Wherry:

FirstWherry23Aug2012.jpg

My "test" bottle being clear glass so I can see how things are "progressing" ;)

not tried a Wherry yet....

yes the sludge is like glue.

Latest posts

Back