First Time Brewers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just a little bit of sediment. You'll soon get the hang of pouring the beer out smoothly, leaving the last bit if you don't like it (if it's just a little bit you won't notice).

Have the bottles been on their sides or moved in such a way to disturb the sediment? When i bring bottles in from the garage into the kitchen fridge i try not to shake them and stand upright.

Of course you could just mix it up and let the beer farts roll!

AnthonyMidnight said:
Hello again all.

We've had the beer bottled for a week now. Most of the sugar seems to have vanished now but at the bottom of the bottles we've noticed there seems to be a small amount of either sugar left or sediment. We've put the beer some place a little bit warmer than we had previously left it but we've noticed that it seems to be slightly cloudy still in the bottles.

Is this something that should be expected?

The sugar will have been eaten by the yeasties and turned into 50% CO2 and 50% alchohol, the deposit on the bottom of the bottle is the extra yeasties that bred while they turned your sugar into CO2 to make your bottles fizz :)

Put the bottles somewhere cold after 2 weeks and the haze should drop out and add to the sediment on the bottom of the bottle, don't worry, it wont be much.

AnthonyMidnight said:
We're using the Young's Brew Buddy beer kit which says it makes lager.

We're also using thick glass bottles that you get for the 1 pint San Miguel bottles.

I'm a little confused ATM now as to how much sugar to use to prime the bottles.

I'm thinking of sticking with just half a tea spoon
Stick in a heaped 1/2 teaspoon as its lager, it will do the job nicely :thumb:

Hi, yes all normal , yes that's sediment which is the yeast converting the sugar and also proteins and such like dropping out of the beer which will get clearer the longer its left , after your 2 weeks in warm store somewhere cool/cold after another 2 weeks it probably will be getting clear :cheers:

bottler said:

Ah we ended up going with leveled half teaspoons

AnthonyMidnight said:
bottler said:

Ah we ended up going with leveled half teaspoons

You will still get a decent amount of fizz, it just might not be as good as some other lagers.

The beauty of getting it not quite right the first time is that you have to have another go to get it right the second time, this can become a problem if you're either cack handed, or a perfectionist, but as the output is decent beer for drinking it's not a huge problem :)

Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who offered up advice, we managed to get 31 out of 40 bottles on our first bottling attempt (messy but funny!).

Only problem we have is the beerseems flat, I think we didn't add enough sugar so we'll try again

Back