First wherry, hoping for no sticking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just swapped an order from an online company as they didn't have the Milestone Black Pearl in stock, so have opted for a Woodford's Wherry due to it's popularity on here, and because I've heard comparisons to Doom Bar/Speckled Hen etc.

I'm a bit worried about it sticking though, as an FV in my kitchen tends to sit at around 18C during the day, and presumably less in the night. For my last batch I put the FV in my airing cupboard, which seemed to boost it to around 22, but I'm then worried that the temperature will fluctuate too much with the boiler coming on and off on a timer.

I know I should go down the water bath route, but I haven't sorted that out yet. Ideally I'd like to get a temperature controlled situation for my WOW demijohns too, as they're currently sitting in the coldest part of my house, but that hasn't stopped them going like a rocket.

What would be the best option? ~18C kitchen with a sleeping bag/blanket around it, or the airing cupboard with potential fluctuating temperatures?

Will do, but now I've found a thermostatic heater pretty cheap I may well look into the water bath route, possibly trying to mount the heater beneath the FV for the best heat distribution. Hopefully it'll be steady enough so that my clumsy dog doesn't knock the whole thing flying.

Just kegged my first Wherry. My room is a similar temp so I used a brew belt. Seemed to work really well when combined with a timer plug to stop it getting too warm.

iv just done my first brew (a werry) , i had the same problem with temp , 17/18 most of the time bit the odd time up to 22 , so far it looks ok . im on my first week in a cold place so fingers crossed

iv now got a belt and timer so hopefully can keep it a bit more stead next go :)

good luck with it :)

im on my first week in a cold place so fingers crossed

Toastie - looks like I'm a week behind you with my first Wherry! Putting mine in cool place today. Let me know how you get on!

Well this is being kept at a reasonably steady 18C in my spare room, but all signs of activity stopped after a couple of days. I couldn't resist a peek and I was greeted with this. It looks to me like there's floating yeast on the top?! Is this another stuck wherry? I've not taken a hydrometer reading since as I thought it might be a bit early, as it only went in the FV on Saturday.

IMAG0114.jpg

All looks pretty normal to me :thumb:
Leave it another couple of days then take a reading and see where it's at, i don't usually start taking readings till it's been in the fv a week.
Sometimes it can look as if nothing is happening but the yeast is still busy munching away and cleaning up the beer
:cheers:

Alot of it will drop out of suspension given enough time. Alot of kits are done in a week but i tend to leave mine in the fv for 10-14 days as leaving it that bit longer really helps it to clear before kegging/bottling
:cheers:

I done a wherry for my first brew and i left it in FV for 14 days at 18c-20c then bottled left in warm for 10 days tried it last night and was lovely jus enough fizz so moved it now to basement to clear. Hardest thing is leaving it alone.

OK, a week in the FV and I've just tested the gravity and got 1012, which after being temp adjusted goes to 1010. Pretty good :) I'll leave this in the barrel for another week and probably bottle next weekend.

The main news is that this is the first homebrew so far where I've actually wanted to drink the hydrometer sample!! It's lovely already!!!

I batch primed with 95g sugar and bottled straight away instead of adding sugar to each bottle individually

Latest posts

Back