Fluid in HERMS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrek

Reaction score
Just been thinking about this and does everyone just use plain water in their HERMS unit? Could you use another fluid such as cooking oil as you would lose less to evaporation and you might be able to cook your chips in it at the same time? :whistle:

might have difficulty pumping it around. Mind you think people have made a herms out of a deep fat fryer.

I just use water as cheap ness and easy to drain and clean without a mess.
Never thought of other liquids, but need to think about the heating up times etc and how long it holds temps cos you need somethink that heats fast and cools fast in theory to allow for the temp changes.

I'd considered adding something to the water to stop it going manky (bleach?) but think it should be fairly easily rinsed out when I get my system going.

I'd considered adding something to the water to stop it going manky (bleach?) but think it should be fairly easily rinsed out when I get my system going.
I meant to add a bottom drain to my herms pot but it never happened as the space is too tight. I just syphon it down when not in use and stuff a drying up towel in it to mop up any left.

Latest posts

Back