Foam head on beer.. What´s up with you british?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
In our local club we changed from oversize glasses and measured pumps to the "freeflow" system. We inform members who believe that they have received less than one pint that we will top up their pint, but they must wait until the head recedes and there is room for more ale. Bar staff are instructed not to allow the foam to overflow from the glass as this is wasted product.
We used to sell Sam Smith's Sovereign, and that consistently gave a larger head than John Smith's Smooth. I understand that sparklers are not used in parts of Southern England, and that results in a beer with little or no head.
As an aside, I once had a beer in Spain with a very large head, so I ordered the next one sin espuma. Didn't really make much difference :-?

Is it not something to do with weights and measures?? with a standard pint glass

Most pubs now use unlined pint glasses, which means that they contain a pint when full to the brim. I'm pretty sure that the law states that a pint of beerr should consist of no more than 5% head.

Latest posts

Back