Four Priests Murgy straight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having watched Andy's videos on youtube I wanted to have a go at brewing "Murgy straight".
Not the best way to cure a post beer festival head lol so not too many photos;
seem to hit the 1041:
IMG_0401[1].JPG

colour looks good:
IMG_0403[1].JPG

all tucked up with first use of Ispindel:
IMG_0405[1].JPG

Can you post the recipe, I might give it a try

For the recipe, watch the following video from 1:30 onwards.

I've already placed an order for the ingredients; can't wait to get it brewed! I'd love a pint of the real stuff, too; I have friends near Macclesfield so I may take a trip out to Middlewich next time I'm over that way 🙂

I'll not post the recipe directly because that's Andy's prerogative.

Last edited:
Having watched through all of the Four Priests youtubes, I'm probably going to brew it at some stage. Maybe next summer though. Looking forward to it as I hadn't even heard of Talus before

The deed has been done! Pre-boil came out at 0.039 and post-boil was 0.042 at the target volume (25 litres, 23 in to the fermenter). Given Grainfather suggested an OG of 1.040 and the original recipe suggested an OG of 1.041, it seems efficiency was pretty good.

It looked and smelled epic at all stages, it was a particularly enjoyable brew day where everything went right (for once!). Thanks so much for sharing the recipe @chopps!

It was probably the most fre-running mash and sparge I have ever had - the recirculation tap was at full bore and the level still didnt reach the overflow. Transferring to fermenter was a bit slow because there seemed to be a lot of cold break and hop matter stuck in the filter, but nothing too drastic; it probably got an extra 10-15 minutes with the hop stand hops whilst it was transferring.

One question - when the recipe says "Dry hop at 5 days", I guess that means dry hop on day 5 of the fermentation, then rack (or remove the hops if bagged) after the usual 3 days one would expect to leave dry hops in for?

IMG_9911.jpgIMG_9915.jpgIMG_9916.jpgIMG_9918.jpgIMG_9921.jpg

Last edited:
The deed has been done! Pre-boil came out at 0.039 and post-boil was 0.042 at the target volume (25 litres, 23 in to the fermenter). Given Grainfather suggested an OG of 1.040 and the original recipe suggested an OG of 1.041, it seems efficiency was pretty good.

It looked and smelled epic at all stages, it was a particularly enjoyable brew day where everything went right (for once!). Thanks so much for sharing the recipe @chopps!

It was probably the most fre-running mash and sparge I have ever had - the recirculation tap was at full bore and the level still didnt reach the overflow. Transferring to fermenter was a bit slow because there seemed to be a lot of cold break and hop matter stuck in the filter, but nothing too drastic; it probably got an extra 10-15 minutes with the hop stand hops whilst it was transferring.

One question - when the recipe says "Dry hop at 5 days", I guess that means dry hop on day 5 of the fermentation, then rack (or remove the hops if bagged) after the usual 3 days one would expect to leave dry hops in for?

View attachment 72407View attachment 72408View attachment 72409View attachment 72410View attachment 72411

Cheers! Hope it goes well! I dry hop on day 5 and leave them in until racking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back