Foxes (and hops)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
People

I live in a densely populated area of London where urban foxes are rife. This means that fish blood and bone fertilisers and the like are a no no because as soon as you've prepared a bed for planting they are in it and tear everything apart. I've learned that lesson. This year though, maybe down to the warm weather, fox related problems seem at an all time high - every single morning there is fox sh#te all over the place. If you leave a pair of shoes out it seems that's a particularly comfortable place for Mr Fox to curl one down. It's horrible as by morning there will be flies swarming round sh*t as they are prone to do. Even as I type a massive f#Coker has jumped on the wall - now scared off because I have chucked an empty bottle of Theakstons OP clone at it,.

I have lost countless expensive plants/ vegetables to them and it doesn't help that the mad woman a couple of doors down feeds them.

Anyway, after a recent brew, and not cogniscent of the fact that it might even be an issue, I left a muslin full of hops in the garden. It disappeared overnight. Have since done some research I found out that hops are considered highly toxic to canines - but foxes like them because said hops are steeped in nutritious wort. I was then really worried that a fox may have dragged spent hops into another garden where a neighbours family dog may end up ingesting hops.

Not sure what my point is but do others suffer badly from foxes and given that I'm clearly not a fan, is it ok to let them poison themselves on by product hops?

Not sure what my point is but do others suffer badly from foxes and given that I'm clearly not a fan, is it ok to let them poison themselves on by product hops?

No
They are protected and if you were found to have deliberately left hops out for them you could be charged,
Not to mention if someone’s dog gets them and it’s traced back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
No
They are protected and if you were found to have deliberately left hops out for them you could be charged,
Not to mention if someone’s dog gets them and it’s traced back to you.

Foxes are protected under a series of wildlife protection laws against poisoning, gassing, asphyxiating, maiming, stabbing, impaling, drowning, clubbing and most forms of snaring, with anyone carrying out such acts subject to 6 months imprisonment and/or £5,000 fine per animal.

I'm an animal lover but don't care much for foxes since one killed our beloved Lottie, a 17 yr old cat with failing health and eyesight. But that's nature I suppose. But we have a feisty female now that no fox would stand a chance against!

Back