Frozen ginger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinleycat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bought 2 packs from tesco today 75p per pack for 20 little cubes each one a teaspoon full.
I'm going to add both and some light spray malt to one of the cheap Youngs Lager kits I got last week.
Anyone used this before and if so will 1 tspn per pint suffice?
Cheers,
KC :cheers:

This is the stuff:
null_zps9d3ba086.jpg

Easy peasy!!!
75p for 70g.

Not tried that, but I have often added chopped ginger root to a TC and had very acceptable results! That looks almost too bloody easy to not feel obliged to give it a try... ;)

In Asda they have large packs of crushed garlic and ginger, I have found them in the bigger stores with a "world foods" freezer section with the Asian frozen veg, chippati's etc. the garlic seems easier to find than the ginger which is unfortunate for homebrew...

The brand name is Taj and they come in 400g bags with about 20 sticks of crushed Ginger.

I have tried a beer with added ginger (as opposed to a ginger beer) and found it very nice indeed.

One i plan to try myself, As is a TC with some frozen ginger thrown in

chrig said:
In Asda they have large packs of crushed garlic and ginger, I have found them in the bigger stores with a "world foods" freezer section with the Asian frozen veg, chippati's etc. the garlic seems easier to find than the ginger which is unfortunate for homebrew...

The brand name is Taj and they come in 400g bags with about 20 sticks of crushed Ginger.

I have tried a beer with added ginger (as opposed to a ginger beer) and found it very nice indeed.

One i plan to try myself, As is a TC with some frozen ginger thrown in
Nice won chrig :thumb: . I shall look for them next time i am in Asda, any idea how much they were?? :cheers:

According to Taj website they supply Morrisons, Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys so maybe worth keeping an eye out.
The website also suggests it comes in 1KG bags which would be ideal for a 20 litre mix IMO.

I got one of the youngs lager kits, so will be interested at how this turns out before starting mine.

Looking to do something with it, as it was so cheap, I have some light malt as well, although contemplating making a zesty beer, which I shall start a thread about...

chrig said:
It certainly wasn't expensive, a quick google says its currently 75p average price 90p per 400g.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-com ... _400g.html

Its a while since I did a gingerbeer with my first one being excelent (usuing ale yeast) and the second being like dry water using wine yeast. So I think its time to have another go with an ale yeast!
With root ginger being about £2+ per KG plus all the preperation time that is a no brainer of a price.
I spoke to the sales director at Taj earlier this morning and he say both Asda and Morrisons have it (in west yorkshire) so i will be deffo keeping an eye out.
This was my Ginger Beer recipe:

Did this on Jan 24th and its fab.
Anyone struggling with their recipe, i would recommend it:
The final recipe 1.0 went as followed
770g ginger (peeled and grated weight.)
3 lemons and 3 limes (squeezed and chopped)
2 teaspoons ginger powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
(All soaked overnight in dark rum 200ml)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
(All ingredients put in a 4 litre pan topped up with water, brought to the boil and simmered for thirty minutes.)
When finished I poured half the liquor into the FV and then mixed 500g light spray malt, 1kg brew enhancer and 400g granulated sugar until dissolved and then added to the FV
Topped up to 20 litres with cold water.
Added two teaspoons of yeast nutrient and whisked like Billyo!!!
The OG was 1040 and if I can get it right down it should clock in at about 5.5%.
Pitched one sachet of cider yeast at 22c
Smells malty and gingery!!!
Plan to bottle with a teaspoon of sugar and two of sweetener.

Latest posts

Back