Gallstones, the enemy of homebrewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gall bladder was exorcised (exercised?) About 20yrs ago. Haven't missed it.... Well, I miss the excruciating pain that caused it to be retired.
I am getting rather tired of the (excuse the language due to pain) ******* rollercoaster ride this is... One minute you are fine and the next, even the slightest bit of wanting to fart is excrutiating. Meals, even the most boring ones taste absolutely delicious due to food deprivation. I just can't eat food like I was before :C

I could be waiting weeks for surgery too ><

Gout is my personal nemesis unfortunately brought on by too much beer. Never ending circle
I feel your pain 😟
Gout is hereditary and my Dad suffered with it until he was prescribed some pills. One morning, out of the blue, I got out of bed and couldn’t put one foot down because of the pain. The doctor told me I had gout, and that I would have to take an Allopurinol 300gm pill every day for the rest of my life.

After about a year I decided to stop taking them, and within a week I was in pain again. Those pills are magic.

Yup, currently in week four of absolute bloody pain. Currently high as a kite on cocodemol, burned out all tv and movies I wanted to see. But the thing I really want to do is get a brew on. But it's too painful, plus a bloody nice chinese curry wouldn't go a miss right now. Reduced to adam's ale, toast and dairy is a total no-no. Life is so fun, gallstones are not :C
Gall bladder out, prostate out, still brewing. Happy days

Interesting reading, I have been using Diclophenic Sodium , along with Ometrazol, for the adverse effects on the stomach, which works , but can take a week.
Maybe try 100mg of that Allopurine or Colchacine which is less needy.

Interesting reading, I have been using Diclophenic Sodium , along with Ometrazol, for the adverse effects on the stomach, which works , but can take a week.
Maybe try 100mg of that Allopurine or Colchacine which is less needy.
With allopurinol you have to take it everyday for the rest of your life. Not for me.

Foods to Avoid if You Have Gout
  • Beer and grain liquors (like vodka and whiskey)
  • Red meat, lamb, and pork.
  • Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, and glandular meats like the thymus or pancreas (you may hear them called sweetbreads)
  • Seafood, especially shellfish like shrimp, lobster, mussels, anchovies, and sardines.
I'd rather enjoy the above and take Allopurinol!

• Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, and glandular meats like the thymus or pancreas (you may hear them called sweetbreads)
  • Seafood, especially shellfish like shrimp, lobster, mussels, anchovies, and sardines.
I do enjoy most of it. (glaudular meats 🤢)
It’s all down to choice and doctor. Thankfully my doctor isnt one to just reach for a tablet when there are other methods to control symptoms. 1 or 2 gout attacks a year for me didn’t seem a good enough reason to go on the allopurinol. But as I say personal choice. 👍

I regularly drink Beer and wine i am not a fan of whisky

I regularly eat Red meat, lamb, and pork.

I wouldn't eat offal even if i didn't suffer from gout its not 1940

I do like some seafood but i wouldn't say i eat it often

Non of the above give me gout as i said earlier lager was my main trigger so i stopped drinking it and attacks have been few and far between, like Donegal John i take Colchicine when i feel an attack coming on and i never get to the stage where i cannot function because of the pain, you are obviously more prone to attacks so need daily medication i would rather not take something daily on the off chance i may get an attack as DJ says its personal choice.

I must be very lucky i eat everything and will try most things, i love seafood all meats including liver heart and lamb frys, i also love snails, right now i have beef short ribs in the oven pic to follow, i have never had gout but i had a mate who did so i do understand how painful it is

I have likened the pain to what I imagine putting a red hot needle into my big toe jont would feel like when people have asked how bad the pain is..

I have likened the pain to what I imagine putting a red hot needle into my big toe jont would feel like when people have asked how bad the pain is..
The worst is in the ankle and even worse in the knee that swells your leg to twice the size chippy. It is horrendous. Never again.

The worst is in the ankle and even worse in the knee that swells your leg to twice the size chippy. It is horrendous. Never again.

I am glad i haven't had anything like that, I am lucky i have only had it in both toes usually the right one.

A bit of a warning for gout sufferers -
A couple of years ago ii had a bad attack my toe was very painful and red as usual and it got so bad i had to take time off work, i didn't have my magic pills back then so i used ibuprofen and paracetamol to try to stop the swelling and pain, after a few days i noticed the red patch was getting bigger and it was getting more painful then one Friday night i noticed the red patch had got bigger and the pain was much worse, SWMBO told me i needed the doctor as she was sure i had Sepsis (see has seen it before in the people she looks after) i couldnt drive so we rang the doctor and by the time he finally arrived four hours later i was lying on the sofa shivering even though it was not a cold night he gave me very strong antibiotics and said if it got any worse i had to go to hospital and would be put on a drip, fortunitly the antibiotics worked and after several days i felt much better it was then SWMBO told me its a killer and many people die because they do not realise what Sepsis is.
The doctor thought my foot had become infected due to me having athletes foot at the time.

I hope this little tale may help someone in the same boat who like me thought it was not important and might have gone away in a day or two.

Reactions: CD
Well, enough is enough. I've called the ambulance and it's on its way. Wish me luck...

Back