Garage Lagering crew, where are you?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Big up ya chests!

Anyone going to brew up some lager using the cold garage this year? I'm thinking of trying my first, maybe something proper german, maybe something a tiny bit dry hopped with C hops...

Would I be able to keg it, dry hop it in the keg, and keep it at a super low temp for the neccessary time until I bottle?

I will be giving it a poke in a few weeks I hope, I don't intend to drink the stuff till summer is upon us so hopefully its a right cold winter :)

Been thinking the same myself. I've enough various ales and stouts conditioning to keep me going in the meantime, allowing me to knock up a lager, dry hopped with Saaz probably and then put out of harms way in the garage for a good while!

Does a Belgian Ale count, it needs to be lagered at below zero for a few weeks?

I've done it for the last few years and am going to brew a new batch on Friday. However I simply use my same process except I go for a diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation. Once ready I bottle and let it lager in the bottle in the garage all winter. If you get really good winter the chill haze proteins will drop out and leave an amazingly clean beer.

Dunfie said:
I go for a diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation.

Dunfie, how long for and at what temp do you carry this out at?

Dunfie said:
Once ready I bottle and let it lager in the bottle in the garage all winter. If you get really good winter the chill haze proteins will drop out and leave an amazingly clean beer.

Interesting. How long would bottles require in, for example, the fridge to achieve the same effect?

It's 10-12 degrees up Newcastle now so I had a brew day on Tuesday. In the garage now about 11 degrees. Fermenting nicely. Hopefully it will get colder in November and December.

Back