garden shredder ????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi i have got a second hand garden shredder for doing my apples ( as scratter may not be ready ) for cider has any body used one of these yet ??? :wha:

did any body esle like jet wash it out use any thing like miltons to sterlise the inside bits etc ????
i have got my first load of apples i think you ment to leave them for at least one week after picking :wha:
as fas as i know once juice in caboys put on camden tablet in per gallon to kill nastys next day pitch yeast if so how mutch cider yeast ????
apples-2.jpg

Rust might be a bigger problem :sick: :sick:

The scratters which you can buy like a shredder are all stainless I think. However I remeber discussions about this last year and I am sure people did use them probably with no ill effect. The only thing I would be worried was if it had been used with plants which were toxic ie Yew or Privat.

I have used a garden shredder for scratting. The shredder I had was very easy to dismantle for cleaning. I used an angle grinder on the blade to remove old rust then coated with vegetable oil to stop rusting again. All the other parts that came into contact with the apples were easily accessible and I just cleaned with warm soapy water. I haven't tried any of the cider yet as it's not ready but we all drank several glasses of the juice with no ill effect. I must say it was so easy to do the apples with that I got my 6 year old son to do that job whilst we got on with cleaning and pressing. I have read some concerns about the blades not being stainless steel but I figure it's in contact with the apples for so little time it, it will be ok.

the second load from the house i got them from still got millions ( about 10 trees ) (1 pear )there and 5 damson trees going to get damsons tomorow night
:cheers:
adrianmole72 said:
I'm coming scrumping round yours later !!! ;)

Stephen

yes m8 got rcd :thumb: :cheers:
hedgerow pete said:
i have an shreader to its plastic apart from the stainless blades. all i do is scrub it out with some cleaner and off i go, do you have a rcd on the plug end just to be safe

Back