Gentlemen....your advice please..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jez3122

Reaction score
I went to wilko's today and decided i'd buy this wine kit i saw
l_bf920ea290344278851cfd9bece75d36.jpg

When i opened the box alarm bells started to ring.....the grape juice carton looked blown up!...like a milk carton when it's not right..
l_674c7cbd60574a708075642f6e77323d.jpg

l_0aa159cbf8244e26926229300e918edf.jpg

I Checked the date on the box and it said Aug 2008!!!!WTF!!!

And so to my dialema.....the shop is miles away and it would cost me close to £20 to get there and back in fuel!
and the box cost me £19.99

so what do i do.....
#1 risk making it
#2 take it back even though i'd lose money :x as a matter of principle
#3 throw the grape juice and keep the rest of the kit.....putting it down to experience(I'll always check the date in future.....can't believe they had it on the bloody shelf!! :( )

This is Mrs Sivs answer to this one. She says keep the receipt, phone wilkinsons explane whats happend and demand a replacment. Then explane about the distance you would have to travel and then they should do a home delivery. As they do home deliverys they cant really say no.

Phone the store up to let them know about it & point out that it is not economical for you to go back to the store & request them to send you a replacement.

If they won't, tell them that you will report them for selling out of date goods. Hang on to your receipt as well, this is your proof of purchase & it will have a date on it.

Edit: Just beaten to it! :)

l_05a327caee0b426c844dd5ecddd4c7ad.jpg

They appear to be bang to rights Gents....

Still cant get my head around the fact that they had stuff on the shelf over a year out of date!!!!

I should imagine the other contenders in the "wilko manager of the year award" are ******** themselves...he really has outdone himself.

am i allowed to name the store :?:

It's not the wilko's in wembley is it?!

I had the same problem. Bought a red kit (it was my first time) only to get home and find it was a year out of date (August 2008 in fact!)
and the bottle had leaked.

Don't try to make it. If by some chance the concentrate is still good the yeast will be way past their prime.
Also think this way, that carton has swelled up wit gas. Whats made the gas :shock:

This is a food product (i suppose) :nono:

I'd contact an authority that i can't think of the name of first....

you can reject it under the sales of goods act! (not fit for the purpose it is intended), if they are against this just threaten with Trading Standards! Im not sure but you maybe able to claim travel expenses from them?!? I wouldn't call the store but send a letter/email to head office as they are more likely to give you more compensation than a store would, send a copy of reciept, photo of the box and the name of the store to them! my mum had a similar thing at my wilkos and she got a exchange and some vouchers to say sorry! :thumb:

From personal experience, ring the store, explain the problem and the cost in travelling etc. Do not make any threats, the person answering the phone is paid £5.85 an hour :(
Wilkinson believe that they offer good customer service and will bend over backwards to help you. If you do not get the service that you expect from the person answering the phone ask to speak to the store manager :thumb:
If that doesn't work PM me and I will give you a phone no. where you will get satisfaction ;)

I'm with TS on this, It sounds like a genuine mix up over stock rotation . . . and the 'supplier' has probably cleared space in the warehouse of 'short dated' stock to Wilko's, and Wilko's accepted the delivery in good faith without checking every pallet. . . . Explain the situation to the customer services bod, who will be happy to put the situation right . . . if you don't get any satisfaction . . .talk to their boss. . . . and keep climbing the tree . . . . I once had an issue with service in Jessops and ended up going to the Chairman of the board . . . . Problem resolved instantly

I managed to resolve this today lads......by chance a problem cropped up at work and to resolve this i needed to visit the town were i bought the kit (It's sunny Skegness if you were wondering)
so on the way i called in at home to collect the kit.....
so i got to Wilko's customer services and said "i bought this wine kit yesterday and the best b4 date says end of August......(i then paused for maximum effect) one of the women said oh dear thats unusual......(i then added "of 2008!")....i wish i'd taken a camera..."OH MY GOD" was the response,then 1 of the women jogged down to the brewing section to check the dates on everything, i asked for a refund and it was given with many apologies.

last night on advice from a forum member i emailed "Youngs" to inform them of my position...
Here's my email and the promt response from Youngs....

Hi,
i bought one of your wine kits today in Wilkinsons in Skegness..
when i got it home and opened the box i was surprised at the state of the grape juice carton...upon further inspection it became apparent that the kit was 13 months out of date......the kit cost me £19.99 but to return to the shop and get a replacement would cost me atleast £15
i consulted a couple of friends as what to do and they told me to email you with my complaint
can i just say that i've used many of your products in the past and have only good feedback about them.....but feel you should really know about this

ps. i will also be contacting the store about this

pps i have attached some pics for your attention

your sincerely

J. Plant

Good morning,

Thank you for your mail.

The photographs appear to show that the concentrate carton is 'blowing.' This suggests that the juice has started to ferment. Probably as a result bring stored in a too warm environment.

We supply Wilkinsons with home brew products, direct to their Distribution Centres. They re-distribute to their stores and it is up to the Stores to order and store the goods.

The kit would not have been supplied to Wilkinsons out of date or in a poor condition.

Our advice is to contact Wilkinsons Store in Skegness. When you made the purchase you entered into a contract with the seller. This contract is an agreement, defined by law and gives you certain legal rights. Under the Sale of Goods Act the goods must: fit the description/be of satisfactory quality and be fit for the purpose. If they do not fit these requirments the retailer has a legal obligation to sort out your problem You may be able to reject the kit and get your money back.

John Smith

Back