My Xmas wine batch was a success!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChewedKandi

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone! I haven't posted for a couple of months, so I want to get back in it. Let's start with something positive :D

It's only been a few months since my husband and I have gotten into home brewing and it's been so much fun. I thought I'd share with you our big success from over the Christmas period.

We had a lot of people coming over for Christmas Day and wanted to be as frugal as we could but to still make sure people had a good time, so we decided to make a wine from fruit juices. Following the usual recipes, nothing overly fancy - we used cartons of cherry, pomegranate & red grape and apple & elder flower fruit juices (from concentrate as they're cheaper - Morrisons has a deal on of 5 for £4 - so spent say £8 on the cartons). We ended up with over 2G of our mixed fruit wine, coming in at just over 14%.

We had loads of compliments on it, even though it was a quickie wine - start to serve less than a month (fermentation was uber quick - about a week!). We even got a fancy dispenser from Costco for only £30. Considering how little the wine cost to make... we're still in the black! (in total about 41 quid spent for 12 bottles... BARGAIN!)

XmasWine_zps5f354e28.jpg

... we later added a few sliced satsumas into it to make it look pretty/Christmassy and to experiment. Although it wasn't all consumed on Christmas Day/Boxing Day, when it was finished off only a few days ago, the satsumas were very tasty... sadly the remainder of the wine (perhaps a bottles worth) was extremely sharp - so maybe not good left long term.

Very happy with getting into wine making and intend on experimenting more in 2014! Aiming to make my first elder flower champagne this year so I can stock up for next Christmas :D

bobsbeer said:
Well done. Nice way to serve it. Although not a long term solution as you found out.

Indeed - I think it's good if we're having a get together though. Will definitely be using it again, but perhaps not with the fruit in it. I think leaving sliced oranges in with the wine was what turned it extremely sharp.

Latest posts

Back