German homebrewing regulations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that link may become useful if I ever decide to move to another country for work!

Here in Germany, you have to tell the authorities that you plan to brew at home. More specifically, according to the letter of the law, you have to pre-register every brewday (every batch) with the local customs office before you do it.
Wow! Thank you for sharing this with us. I no idea the authorities there were so...unenlightened.

With all of that hassle I'm amazed there are any homebrewers in Germany at all. That is true dedication! I lift my glass to your and your brethren.

Just out of curiosity, what are the repercussions of not registering your homebrewing and being found out? I imagine the penalty is pretty stiff.

- Scott

Mmmmm - well don't forget, we homebrewers are all paying the VAT man in the UK for most of the brewing materials and goods purchased. That's a 20% charge. Though I agree it would be worse if we had to pay the vatman for duty from Excise too!

Latest posts

Back