Getting fat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great my mates tell me I'm making it up when I put the abv on my bottles because they don't understand the hydrometer but now wait till I start putting the nutritional info on aswell ha ha brilliant
also I've just found out my home brew isn't as bad for me as I first thought must be all the junk food that goes with being drunk.
Nothing like I big kebab after a skin full :cheers:

eating a diet of
Fried mushrooms and tinned tomatoes for breakfast
vegetable stir fry with a small amount of rice for tea
and if I get hungry I've nibbled on some microwaved brocoli with soy sauce

What are you frying the mushrooms in? It looks lacking in protein and essential fats to me. I find mushrooms cooked in real butter taste far better than in vegetable oil. Don't be afraid of saturated fats, the fat stored on your body is from carbs. See http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/ for a discussion on saturated fat and how it got its bad name.

bigred said:
This is why exercise takes so much effort for relatively small gains, even working at peak effort it is dwarfed by the demands of keeping the organs ticking over.

yes very true, which is why i mentioned the little trick of eating losts of small meals throughout the day as opposed to a couple of big meals, as those 'other organs' need to be encouraged to work at full peak.
but you still cant tell me that you disagree that having extra skeletal muscle is a good thing? its undeniablly and simply the laws of phisics- the bigger you are the more energy it takes to move you. that includes reaching for the remote, fidjeting in your seat, even pumping blood that extra bit further (was heart included in the 'other organs'? cos that gets bigger aswell)

you still cant tell me that you disagree that having extra skeletal muscle is a good thing? its undeniablly and simply the laws of phisics- the bigger you are the more energy it takes to move you.

No, I don't disagree at all, there are many reasons why it is worth having extra muscle, just pointing out why exercise doesn't meet up to peoples expectations, that's all.

DirtyCaner said:
TheMumbler said:
I think that above a certain level around 17%abv IIRC, your body starts to treat alcohol as a toxin and actively tries to reduce absoprtion of it, so I don't think that your argument about dilution holds on that basis. Which (if either) is more physiological harmful I don't know.

Fair enough mate. I guess you're right on the absorption idea but surely if that is the case then drinking alcohol under the percentage would be less harmful as you body doesn't think it is as toxic. And anything over this would seem to more harmful?

This has turned into a very interesting thread.
I really don't know which if either would be more harmful. I can see an argument either way tbh and I don't have any data. There are a lot of factors, so it is likely to be determined by a complex set of interactions. If you are worried about your alcohol consumption it might well be an idea to drink a bit less for peace of mind if nothing else.

snail59 said:
Has anyone pointed out that Muscle weighs MORE than Fat. At some point you may be losing fat but GAINING WEIGHT

weight is just a number. plus thats half the fun, stepping on the scales and hoping for a gain! just as long as its not my belly :lol:

I would say to that is keep fit, drink less than 6 pints a night and don't eat after 7pm. You might want to try ask your doc for some water tablets lol, most of that weight might be fluid. What ever you decide good luck.

Latest posts

Back