Going keg - a few questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking at going keg (Damn you home brew and home brewers!)

A few questions if I may.

My fridge is not the standard 600 wide, it’s more like 540mm. Inside measurement is 460-ish. Can some kind soul give me exact measurement of a Corny please? I know they’re mentioned on web sites, but I’m not sure whether that is exact, or just under, or just over.

I’m specifically looking at the widest part, and whether that is at the base rubber, or top rubber, or the main body. I may have difficulty getting these side by side so I need to know exactly where the widest part is.

Next, I cannot position the CO2 cylinder next to the fridge. It will need to be about 13 feet of gas line away, maybe more. Is that an issue?

One more, and I saw this answered elsewhere, but I will ask again to see if there are other opinions.... I currently do 11 litre batches. Other than having extra headspace to purge, any issue in kegging 11 litres in a 19 litre Corny?

That’s all I have for now but I suspect there will be more questions later.

Many thanks

I am just starting out on the same journey. I have a couple of 19l kegs that are about 23 cm in diameter and 56 cm tall. My fermentation fridge is also about 46 cm wide, but with the shelf guides, that is reduced to 44 cm. I can fit 2 corny kegs in there but not side by side. If I want a 3rd in there, I need a bigger fridge.

I did say that I'd probably have more later....

Each of my gas and beer posts have two seals on them, but when I look at corny keg seal kits on BKT, they show 5 seals (1x lid, 2x post, 2x dip tube)

As my posts currently have seals two on each, I would need 7 seals (1x lid, 4x post, 2x dip tube)

Do I have too many seals on my posts?

Mini regulators:
The mini regs on Kegland/AliExpress appear to be DuoTight 5/16" - the gas lines on my current set up are 3/8" and I'm using John Guest fittings.

I assume they are not interchangeable and I would need some kind of converter?

Spare Beer:
I have two cornies, both containing beer. In one I have some beer that I'm not particularly partial to. Imagine I had a third keg (I don't but this will help to inform my decision)

Could I disconnect one keg and 'store' the beer at ambient temp in the garage (currently ~10-12c) without ruining the beer?

How long could it keep stored in this way?

I can see that this would be one of the ways that kegs could multiply very quickly. And / or I end up with a bigger kegerator.

Thank you

I did say that I'd probably have more later....

Each of my gas and beer posts have two seals on them, but when I look at corny keg seal kits on BKT, they show 5 seals (1x lid, 2x post, 2x dip tube)

As my posts currently have seals two on each, I would need 7 seals (1x lid, 4x post, 2x dip tube)

Do I have too many seals on my posts?

Mini regulators:
The mini regs on Kegland/AliExpress appear to be DuoTight 5/16" - the gas lines on my current set up are 3/8" and I'm using John Guest fittings.

I assume they are not interchangeable and I would need some kind of converter?

Spare Beer:
I have two cornies, both containing beer. In one I have some beer that I'm not particularly partial to. Imagine I had a third keg (I don't but this will help to inform my decision)

Could I disconnect one keg and 'store' the beer at ambient temp in the garage (currently ~10-12c) without ruining the beer?

How long could it keep stored in this way?

I can see that this would be one of the ways that kegs could multiply very quickly. And / or I end up with a bigger kegerator.

Thank you
I have 6 kegs, each has different o rings on the posts. Some have 1, some have 2 like yours, so that's fine.

You are right you need to have an adaptor to go from the two sizes. You can get them.

Yes if you had another keg you could store it at 10degC no problem. Might get a bit warm on the summer I guess. If under CO2 it would probably be OK though.

Latest posts

Back