Greetings from Glasgow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffmartyn

Reaction score
Hi folks,

First time brewer here. Currently brewing a standard Cooper's Lager Pilsner kit, which I thought would be a good starting point.

Started on Tuesday 16th and doing quite nicely I think. Temp has been consistent around 22 deg. OG was 1037, last night (end of day 4) it was 1014, and today (day 5) it looks as though it's down to about 1012.

I've read some threads where people are saying to leave it for anything up to 10 days - I don't mind to be honest and I'm not in any rush.
I've also got a mix of bottles to use having gathered some old brew dog bottles and some Leffe Blonde bottles too (small ones) for which I have a capper, but I also hear mixed reports on the reliability of reusing bottles, so may just stick to the plastic PET ones for my first batch.

Anyway - hello to everyone. Looking forward to learning a lot here and thanks for the great community.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your first brew is doing well. Just be patient and you will reap rewards.

As for bottles, any brown glass beer bottles are fine and will stand up to a decent level of conditioning. Also the magners and bulmers bottles are good for the job too.

hi geoff and welcome, i too am from glasgow. i am also a newbie as well. i have only used plastic bottles for my first batch, got glass ones sitting to be used but i forgot to get caps when i was in the home brew shop. i will pop along and get them before i bottle my second batch which is in the bucket just now.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice!

afur130173 - do you get your brew supplies locally in Glasgow?

Cheers

Geoff

geoff, yes i get them in glasgow from a shop in partick. its right along at the very end of partick before you get to the big roundabout that takes you to whiteinch. the shop is called glen brew, its website is www.innhousebrewery.co.uk

the shop has been there for years and years. not the biggest selection of kits but more than enough for us beginner, reasonable prices too.

Brilliant, thank you!

I've been using the the-home-brew-shop.co.uk so far and I must say they've been great. Less than 24 hours from order to delivery if ordered on a weekday. Not bad at all.

I'll check out innhousebrewery next time I'm down that way (I'm a South-sider!)

Cheers

Geoff

i live in east end, but i have always known about the home brew shop in partick, as far as i am aware it is the only one in glasgow. dire need of another one in my opinion, untapped market. i work in the city so popping along to partick every few weeks is not a problem for me.

Welcome to the Forum!

Re Glenbrew at Partick - don't judge the shop by its website which is pretty poor in comparison to other home brew websites. It doesn't show anywhere near the amount of stock you'll find in the shop which is a veritable Aladdin's Cave!
Best idea would be to pop in, have a look around, and pick up one of their printed catalogues. :thumb:

I went into the Inn House Brewery shop today in Partick. As you say, it's really well stocked and has pretty much everything I need.

I came away with a box of Grolsch-style bottles (500ml) and a St Peter's Indian Pale Ale kit.

Kerching!

Latest posts

Back