Growing Hops??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 month in and my 1st year hops currently look like this!

img_04811.jpg

The Target and EKG (left and middle) are around 2ft in length now and are being trained around the support string i've wound around the cane towers. The Bramling X is a little bit shorter than the others but broke through later so I guess that's too be expected!

BM: Mine are just in a mix of B&Q cheapest value compost and topsoil from the garden (because I ran out of compost!).
I'd worry more about keeping them well watered in the *cough* hot weather we're having *cough* but they seem pretty tolerant so far...

Thanks for the info on Bramling X too Evanvine.
What should I expect rougly yeild-wise per vine? I guess the central pillar is about 7ft tall so with all the wrapping around the vine'll be c. 10ft max.

DethApostle said:
What should I expect rougly yeild-wise per vine? I guess the central pillar is about 7ft tall so with all the wrapping around the vine'll be c. 10ft max.
Yield depends on a lot of variables, but mainly micro climate and maturity.
You will need more space between you plants as when you pinch the growing tips out they will begin to bush.
I still don't know what to expect from mine and this will be their 4th full growing season, I didn't count the planting season.
You will no doubt get some hops this year and then things will (should) improve year on year.

I figured you'd say that to be honest and ultimately if I get anything from them at all this year i'd be happy!
The individual pots are going to be moved to different spots in the garden at some point, they are currently where the raised bed is going to be built!

Planted Feb March 2013
Pigeons or a rabbit or some other nasty furrey woodland creature ate the top off mine at about 2" high. Set it back a few weeks but it is now about 14" and counting. I'm not anticipating any crop this year; that way I may be pleasently supprised!

Latest posts

Back