Growing Hops??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a Prima Donna in last year and it has put up about 5 short shoots so far. How far do the roots spread underground? I was digging about 4 feet away from it today and there were some roots coming from the direction of the hop plant. I'm guessing this is the hop. If I wanted to take a cutting and plant it somewhere else in the garden is now a good time to do it? If so where should I cut it?, just at the end? and how much. If I remember the rhizome I purchased was about 8-10"

There is no need to dig the whole plant up. Pick three of the outside shoots, Straight down with a knife and repot in garden compost.. Ive taken literally 1000`s of cuttings like this and I get a 95% strike rate. Its a little too early to be taking cutting though, give it another month.

I decided to create some raised beds by taking some turf off my lawn, and I've put in a couple of roots (planted 02/03/14).

The Fuggles is about 8inches with several bines making a bid for freedom

The Challenger (smaller of the two roots) is about 1inch with a couple of tips showing.

Should be interesting - I've suspended a wire from a tree to the house at about 20feet, and just waiting for the right moment to anchor the twine to the ground for them to grow up.

:D

I'm fairly new to gardening, i.e. this year in fact.

I've been brewing on an off for over 20years, having gone AG a couple of years ago.

I've got the hops in the ground now, and I read through some of the previous posts on cutting back and yield.

Having got into gardening, I've got myself a greenhouse, and am growing tomatoes.

Now the Mrs got me a couple of books on growing your own veg, and I've got quite a bit in.

One of the things I've noticed is aphids seem to be a problem for hops.

In the books I've got, there are suggestions of growing basil as a sacrificial plant for the aphids, as they will go for that apparently over toms and presumably hops.

The other thing is to grow marigolds or nasturtiums to attract hover flies, whose larvae feast on aphids.

I've got a bucket load of marigolds raised from seed to plant out, and the basil is coming along nicely.

a nice bit of yeast slurry is drowning slugs in the slugs traps like it's going out of fashion.

Might be worth getting some basil in, and some marigolds / nasturtiums too.

Just a thought to keep the aphids distracted > if it's been posted before, apologies.

:idea:

I'm fairly new to gardening, i.e. this year in fact.

I've been brewing on an off for over 20years, having gone AG a couple of years ago.

I've got the hops in the ground now, and I read through some of the previous posts on cutting back and yield.

Having got into gardening, I've got myself a greenhouse, and am growing tomatoes.

Now the Mrs got me a couple of books on growing your own veg, and I've got quite a bit in.

One of the things I've noticed is aphids seem to be a problem for hops.

In the books I've got, there are suggestions of growing basil as a sacrificial plant for the aphids, as they will go for that apparently over toms and presumably hops.

The other thing is to grow marigolds or nasturtiums to attract hover flies, whose larvae feast on aphids.

I've got a bucket load of marigolds raised from seed to plant out, and the basil is coming along nicely.

a nice bit of yeast slurry is drowning slugs in the slugs traps like it's going out of fashion.

Might be worth getting some basil in, and some marigolds / nasturtiums too.

Just a thought to keep the aphids distracted > if it's been posted before, apologies.

:idea:
Set up an insect home ( the ones with hollow bamboo canes)near anything at risk from aphids. Should mean you get a lot of hungry ladybirds, too sleepy to fly, crawling all over your garden looking for food when the aphids start to make an apperance this time of year.

Spotted some new shoots today on the first gold I planted late last year :party:

Hi all I have Hallertauer and Perle plants both above ground. They were both bought from simply hops but the Hallertauer looks nothing like the Perle and much more like a more illegal variety of plant! I know the species are related but what do people think?
7u3a9unu.jpg
sy8y9ega.jpg

And...

Warmth[edit]
The optimal day temperature range for cannabis is 24 to 30 °C (75 to 86 °F). Temperatures above 31 °C and below 15.5 °C seem to decrease THC potency and slow growth. At 13 °C the plant undergoes a mild shock, though some strains withstand frost temporarily.[4][5][6] Frost occurs when air temperatures dip below 0 °C (32 °F) and ice crystals form.

Light[edit]
Light can be natural (outdoor growing) or artificial (indoor growing).

Under artificial light, the plant typically remains under a regime of 16–20 hours of light and 4–8 hours of darkness from the germination until flowering, although the plant can use a full 24 hours of light without harm. There is an ongoing debate over the importance of the "dark period". It has been shown that, when subjected to a regimen of constant light without a dark period, most types of flora, including Cannabis, will begin to show signs of decreased photosynthetic response, lack of vigor, and an overall decrease in vascular development. There is no defined flowering "stage", unless you are discussing an auto-flowering variety (Cannabis Ruderalis). Typically, flowering is induced by changing the light schedule to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. Flowering in cannabis is triggered by a hormonal reaction within the plant that is initiated by an increase in its dark cycle, i.e. the plant needs sufficient prolonged darkness for bract/bracteole [7] (flowering) to begin. Some Indica varieties require as little as 8 hours of dark to begin flowering, whereas some Sativa varieties require up to 13 hours.

If it's outside, it's unlikely to be growing without sufficient heat and light.

> I have no experience by the way < :shock: in case anyone wonders.

I appreciate the feedback but regardless of whether it should grow well under current conditions can anyone identify whether or not this is a hop plant or hemp/cannabis?

If you grew it from a rhizome, it's absolutely not hemp as hops grow from a perennial rootstock which produces rhizomes and cannabis is an annual that grows from seed. If it did come from a seed, one way to tell the difference would be to rub your fingers up the stem. If it's a hop plant, you'll feel the scratching of the climbing hooks and if it's hemp, there will be no climbing hooks and will feel rather smooth. It sure looks like hops to me~

. . . forgot to mention that when the foliage is first emerging on some varieties it tends to have a very similar appearance to hemp. Once those leaves mature a bit, they'll lose that appearance and begin to look more like that of hops.

As I said all feedback is appreciated. Based on which I asked a further question. I think that you may have perceived a tone in my answer that wasn't intended to be there.

Hope everyone's hops are growing well. Here's a picture of the First Gold I planted last year. Should get a lot more hops this year.:p
2014-07-12163757.jpg

Latest posts

Back