guide to making cider-water / ciderkin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman2

Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched the internet high and low and not found an exact method for making either 'cider-water' or 'ciderkin.'

I have loads of apple and pear which has been pressed to make apple juice.

It is currently in the freezer.

I do not have a press, and do not intend making one.

I do have two demijohns and happy to make a weak cider for a party in mid spring 2013.

I have heard about steeping the 'pomace' in water, but not sure of the amounts, for how long and then the fermentation process.

Can someone point me to a guide if one exists on here, or reply with a specific method for making the above.

Thanks

Jon

Mulled Cider Recipe
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of whole allspice
1 teaspoon of whole cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
3- inch stick cinnamon, broken up
2 quarts of apple juice
Stir everything together in a saucepan and heat until just simmering. Let steep for at least 20 minutes or up to half an hour. Strain out the spices and serve into warmed mugs. This recipe will serve around 8 people.

Hint: If you place the whole spices in a small cheesecloth bag, it will be much easier to take them out before

bananaman2 said:
I have heard about steeping the 'pomace' in water, but not sure of the amounts, for how long and then the fermentation process.
I think you're describing using pre-pressed or spent cake (ex-cider or ex-fruit juice?). The amount of flavour you get is going to be inversely proportional to the efficiency of the press that was used originally. If it was an efficient commercial press I'm not sure how much flavour will be left.

I would suggest as little water as possible in relation to the pomace, the more water the weaker the flavour. And it's going to be weak whetever you do.

Latest posts

Back