Hang Over Cures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluff

Reaction score
Was read a previous post by spudbasher regarding hangovers and thought hey why share your hangover cures, remedies and recoverys.

So here's my current one, been through quite a few but this seems to have the best affect for me at the moment.

Drink as much water as you can before collapsing in a heap somewhere!
Crawl to the kitchen find a something that can hold liquid drop some Alka Seltzer XS in it, add water, drink.

After your eye sight returns a little and the shaking subsides some put kettle on for a nice strong cup of tea.

And if possible go back to bed!

:drunk:

I used to try and drink 2 lucozade sport drinks each with a resolve powder in it =) although i was usually too drunk to remember.
I hear Dioralite (childrens medicine) is a good rehydrator and a couple of those before you go to bed and another in the morning helps although untested by me.

If i do the drink a couple of pints of water i spend most of the night in the toilet (peanut bladder!)

Rob

there was an old army trick for beating a hangover,for the measure use a double whiskey measure
1 measure of milk
1 measure of soda water
1/4 measure brown and red sauce mixed
1 measure of tap water
put in a pan,bring to the boil and when you have a good rolling boil
plunge your hands in. you WILL forget all about the hangover .

100mg Caffeine, 1000mg Paracetamol - mixed into any 500ml drink that's high in sugar, drink at 4c as your stomach absorbs liquid faster when it is cool, this re-hydrates, sorts your headache out and give you a much needed energy boost!

Works for me as long as I drink no more than 2 to 3 bottles of wine the night before, any more than that and it just relieves the symptoms, if I can manages to keep it down long enough to digest it :sick: haha.

My Hangover Cure is:

drink as much water the night before as stomachable
1/2 - glasses of Orange juice
2 - Paracetamol
1 - slice of bread (its helps trust me)
1 - long hot shower
1 - Number 2 (not to be underrated)
A lot of laying around :)

It works 80% of the time :thumb:

something full of grease, full on fry up, water/hair of the dog :cheers: ,
never orange juice or milk, just sits in stomach and churns, makes me feel like :sick:

I had a hang over other day, got up at 8am, had a full english brekkie, felt okay for an hour, then pow! Omg it was unbeleivable i couldn't eat i couldnt drink, i tried going to bed for a while but could't sleep! Come 7pm i decided to force a big meal down me followed by a pint of guinness..... fresh as a daisy after that! Miracle! :clap:

Drink plenty of water, between alcoholic drinks if possible (i never remember) and before bed.

Don't be shy with the paracetamol, for me the worst part of a hangover is the headache. I try to take two before bed and two as soon as I am awake and this is usually all that I need.

Once awake, eat as soon as you can.

Finally, don't mope around. Do something! Much of the hangover is psychological and if you are distracted it fades away to the back of your mind. If you mope around acting ill, then this is how you will feel.

absolutely - get up and do something, preferably outside, exercise will pump blood around the body quicker, and getting oxygen to the brain is what's needed. also a hiar of the dog - I find that a Bloody Mary works wonders, also eating food is a good idea, and having a shower. If you think you can't manage food, then scrambled egg on toast, with lots of butter is usualy pretty good. It also depends on the type and size of the hangover...

Tony said:
teabicky said:
Much of the hangover is psychological

Not mine, they are as tangible as a brick wall at 90mph.

All pain is psychological to some extent, its the brain that processes it after all. Thats how the placebo effect works.

I'm not suggesting anything strenuous, just a quiet walk (to the pub, perhaps!!) or maybe even a spot of housework..... on second thoughts, which way to the pub!!

This usually works for me...... usually. I mean, i'm 31. It shouldn't hurt this bad!!! :cry:

1. Before bed neck a couple of pints of water or a light squash and open your bedroom window. The oxygen helps fight the hypoxia that is caused by alcohol. You can buy pure oxygen in a can!!http://www.oxyfit.co.uk/index.aspx. The hangovers i've been getting, i might have to get some!!!!!
2. When you wake, get some rehydration salts and paracetamol down you.
3. Food... I like to go down the grease route. Local greasy spoon or Burger King (other fast food restaurants are available). Fizzy drink is also a good idea. The bubbles help settle your stomach, the sugar and caffine gives you a kick and the phosphoric acid tricks your taste buds into thinking they've been quenched.
4. PUB! Get some black stuff in ya!!! :drink: Purely medicinal of course. :whistle:

A pint of Guinness works a treat, they used to give you a pint of this in Ireland after you had give blood, it builds up red blood cells quickly as its full of iron. Would be interested if anyone irish can confirm this as i read it on a Guinness facts guide. Also posters used to say 'Guinness is good for you' but they got banned, probably because people would drink 10 pints and think 'hey this is good, get drunk and its good for us!' :lol:
Too many of these and you will regret it... 8 pints = Banging headache next day!

A pint of Guinness works a treat, they used to give you a pint of this in Ireland after you had give blood, it builds up red blood cells quickly as its full of iron. Would be interested if anyone irish can confirm this as i read it on a Guinness facts guide

I can't confirm the Irish part but what i do know is the doctor or midwife told my mum (while pregnant with me) to have Guinness for the same reasons. I hope in moderation. :whistle:

Latest posts

Back