Harder then usual Krausen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_89

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Girls

So I'm pretty new to brewing I've done 2 beer kits and 2 wine kits so far.

I thought I would try my hand at doing a small batch of mixed fruit cider for the other half.

It was a simple recipe of:

3kg of mix frozen fruits boiled and crushed and sieved to give me 1 litre of juice plus 9L of pure apple juice plus 1 strong cup of black tea

So it's been fermenting about a week or so but I've noticed the Krausen is a lot "thicker" then usual and sat on the top and looks let's say "crusty" not sure if this is normal or not.

I used EC 1118 yeast been at around 20-22c

Looks like I've got a chocolate brownie sat on the top which is the best way to describe it 😳

Took a sample to check Gravity still off where it should be so will leave it longer (if what is sat on top is not an infection)

The sample I took looked good. Was a nice colour and tasted fine too.

This been my first brew not using a kit and using fresh fruits instead has me worried about the first "crusty Krausen"

Any ideas? Pictures attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_083837.jpg
    IMG_20210130_083837.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210130_083802.jpg
    IMG_20210130_083802.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210130_083125.jpg
    IMG_20210130_083125.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 41
Nothing to worry about in fact its looking good
Fresh fruit wines are never as well behaved as kits.
After many, many years of winemaking i have kind of settled on ec-1118 as my goto yeast.
but it sort of never gives up if you know what i mean.The SAS of yeast.

Dont worry i have seen this and much,much worse and its always come alright on the nightathumb...

BTW i should of noticed you are new to the forum,and given you a warm welcome

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about in fact its looking good
Fresh fruit wines are never as well behaved as kits.
After many, many years of winemaking i have kind of settled on ec-1118 as my goto yeast.
but it sort of never gives up if you know what i mean.The SAS of yeast.

Dont worry i have seen this and much,much worse and its always come alright on the nightathumb...

BTW i should of noticed you are new to the forum,and given you a warm welcome

Thanks for the reply will this eventually "sink" or is it worth taking it off if its possible? When I took the sample and broke the "crust" I could still see and hear it bubbling away so I know it's still active will it eventually drop or should I get rid of it or leave it and syphon through it on racking day? Many thanks on the welcome.. Looking to learn how to eventually get to the point of brewing from scratch rather then kits

Thanks

It seems we have a kind of conversation going.
If that is the case LET IT FERMENT OUT.

The champers yeast is a real go-er

Latest posts

Back