Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichibabin

Reaction score
This is my first brew. I was exposed to the process with my Dad when I was a teen, and I also have experience with cell culture as part of my job. I started off with a very respectable SG of 1.050. I used the graduations on my FV and filled a whisker short of the 36 pint marker. My kit came with 2 packs of yeast which I pitched on top at 18 degC. It's been fermenting at 18-20 C ever since. The next morning fermentation had started, so it kicked in under 18 hours. Going by the rate of airlock bubbling, after 27 h the fermentation rate was at its peak and ~2 cm of krausen had formed. After 6 days there were no signs of airlock bubbling, so I took a reading which was 1.024. Reassuringly, after 9 days without bubbling, it was at 1.018. After 13 days, it was 1.016/7, and after 15 days, it hadn't shifted. This is a welcome 4.5% but I'm not sure if I should try and push things further by opening the lid and stirring. Instructions say 1.014 minimum. I've just given it a bit of slosh in the FV and if it hasnt dropped by the weekend (17-18 days) I was thinking about bottling. Based on the forum reports, this seems like a reasonable plan, but I would appreciate some fresh perspective. Thanks.

EDIT:
I thought my hydrometer was bang on, but room temp water is reading 1.002/3! I may well be done.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to bottle tomorrow. Took another reading last night and it still has not shifted. Factoring in the hydrometer error, which is actually +0.003/4, I’m at 1.012/3 so should be safe.

Thanks. I'm going to bottle tomorrow. Took another reading last night and it still has not shifted. Factoring in the hydrometer error, which is actually +0.003/4, I’m at 1.012/3 so should be safe.
I made this one last September.
Excellent beer.

After bott, wil you keep them at room temperature for a week or so, before moving somewhere cool?
I made the error of transferring directly to a cold garage after bottling on a previous brew. The secondary fermentation didn't happen and all bottles flat. That was the previous brew to the Nelson.

Let us know how this comes out.

I have transferred them to the same room as primary fermentation, which fluctuates between 18-20 degC. Tested a bottle last night which was three days and it was flat. The bottles have firmed up and there was a slight psst on opening but very flat. Its nuts the instructions say place somewhere warm for 2 days and then somewhere cool for 14! They will remain at 18-20, and I am hoping to get decent carbonation after two weeks; not going to check any sooner.

I have transferred them to the same room as primary fermentation, which fluctuates between 18-20 degC. Tested a bottle last night which was three days and it was flat. The bottles have firmed up and there was a slight psst on opening but very flat. Its nuts the instructions say place somewhere warm for 2 days and then somewhere cool for 14! They will remain at 18-20, and I am hoping to get decent carbonation after two weeks; not going to check any sooner.
I hope they do carbonate for you. As I said, I had a whole batch flat through transferring too soon to a cold garage.
( I think that was the problem - but then I wondered if I had forgotten to add sugar to the bottles! )

Someone on here advised me they worked on the 2-2-2 principle
2 weeks in FV, 2 weeks somewhere warmish & 2 weeks before trying a sample.
Sounds like good advice.

Let us know how things progress

I would have thought your bottles would have been recoverable by moving to warm as the yeast should have gone dormant rather than died - provided sugar was added of course :)
I added 1 Coopers carbonation drop per 500 ml bottle. WIll keep you posted.

I would have thought your bottles would have been recoverable by moving to warm as the yeast should have gone dormant rather than died - provided sugar was added of course :)
I added 1 Coopers carbonation drop per 500 ml bottle. WIll keep you posted.
Yes, you're probably correct. It didn't occur to me - so I drank them!
Adding lemonade to make a shandy of sorts, helped .........

It's hopefully too early to draw any conclusions at this stage, but I thought I would update. After a few days I moved the bottles to a 19-21 degC. After a total of 1 week in the bottle (couldn't resist) there was more carbonation which was approaching acceptability. However, I got a headache almost immediately after/during drinking. I tried a couple last tonight (2 weeks) and the carbonation was better, but the flavour profile has changed. It has become very sweet and fruity and the bitterness of the finish has reduced. It is said this beer has Dundee cake flavours so maybe this is normal but not my bag. I have realised I like a very dry and hoppy beer (e.g. certain IPAs and Pilsner Urquell). Maybe this is the youngness/greeness of the beer but its far too sweet/malt forward for my taste as it stands. Regarding the headache and fruitiness, I'm wondering whether some esters and acetaldehyde have crept in. There were no signs of this after primary and I had really high hopes, and these odd changes have almost certainly occurred in the bottle. I'm also suspecting the use of Coopers's carbonation drops that were bundled with my brew kit may be to blame (packed in 2022). I certainly will never use them again. It could be that my expectations are just too high for a kit brew.

Latest posts

Back