Hate Legislation Ireland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New laws regarding hate speech are about to be introduced in Ireland and I'm wondering what people think of it. Personally, I think they are a government overreach, left very open to interpretation and will be a waste of time for already spread thin Garda (police).
The scariest part for me is if any martial you possess is deemed to be offensive or an indictment to violence you will be presumed guilty of the intent to share it and have to prove your innocence.
I'd like to hear your thoughts and a link to the legislation is below (it's not too long).
https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2022/105/eng/initiated/b10522d-p-c-sent.pdf

Not reading that lot, MrJay! But from what you say, it sounds a pretty stupid idea to conflate "deemed to be offensive" and incitement to violence. My rule of thumb is that, while I never set out to offend, I respect the right of anybody who wants to, to take offence at anything I say. As for incitement to violence, just don't get me going on Tories.

Well, this is the problem with it. Offence is subjective and a post you make in England could land you in trouble if you took a trip to Ireland.
I also strongly suspect that enforcement will be very 'selective'.

Latest posts

Back