Having a crack at Wurzel's Orange Wine.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpile1

Reaction score
Mixed up a gallon of WOW the other day, here's a video of it one day after adding the yeast.

I've followed the recipe exactly except a little less sugar to make an OG of 1.08.

Thought you chaps might like to see a couple of pics plus a video I've made - it's quite vigorous stuff :cool:

Apologies for the video being at 90º - I thought I could rotate it with photobucket but it turns out I can't. :oops: Also got my daughters jabbering in the background bless 'em.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... 301994.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... 301993.jpg

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... 301995.mp4

I'll post more photos as it goes on. Yeast used was just Young's GP Wine Yeast.

Darren

corby_brewer said:
Nice one mate, :thumb:

Cheers :)

Although it's just bubbled over - in all the five years or so of making wines that's only ever happened to me once before.

Wickedly fast stuff. :hmm:

dpile1 said:
Although it's just bubbled over - in all the five years or so of making wines that's only ever happened to me once before.

Ive only been making wine for about 10 month now and in all that time ive only ever had one wine thats decided to escape from the DJ. And that was a tomato wine.
003-10.jpg
001-13.jpg

Turbotez said:
now you know that will taste proper nice sat on the beach at Westward ho! :thumb:

I'm looking forward to having a jar :drink:

How long does it usually take to ferment out or require racking? I'm a Wurzel's virgin :oops:

corby_brewer said:
Ive only been making wine for about 10 month now and in all that time ive only ever had one wine thats decided to escape from the DJ. And that was a tomato wine.

Tomato wine?! I guess it is a fruit.........

What is it like?

usually find 4-5 weeks and its going down the hatch :drink:

Mine are usually 2 weeks fermenting then rack and stabalize, 1-2 weeks clearing, then rack, another week and bottle

Turbotez said:
usually find 4-5 weeks and its going down the hatch :drink:

Mine are usually 2 weeks fermenting then rack and stabalize, 1-2 weeks clearing, then rack, another week and bottle

Ideal! Nice and quick! Thanks :thumb:

well mine has just stoped fermenting will check tomorow to see what the hydro reading is

dpile1 said:
Turbotez said:
now you know that will taste proper nice sat on the beach at Westward ho! :thumb:

I'm looking forward to having a jar :drink:

How long does it usually take to ferment out or require racking? I'm a Wurzel's virgin :oops:

Quicker (7-8 days) in this hot weather, or two weeks if cooler. You can leave it a couple of days undisturbed for the lees to settle down before racking off and stabilising.

Soon there will be enough south west brewers to hold a brewday and try each others brews :drunk:

Great stuff :cheers:

rickthebrew said:
Soon there will be enough south west brewers to hold a brewday and try each others brews :drunk:

Great stuff :cheers:

Sounds like a plan! Surprising that there's not more of us really. I'd have thought the West Country would have a fairly high number of brewers......

:wha:

there must be more - my local homebrew shop in exeter does a great trade and tuckers maltings in newton abbot sell grain for homebrewing, just gotta find them :cheers:

brewday BBQ beer session :whistle:

Latest posts

Back