Help! Coopers real ale brew froth overload!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chains

Reaction score
Well this coopers beer kit I've out on is going friggin crazy! I need advice and fast as its my first beer kit.

I filled the fv to 23L like the instruction said in a 25L vessel.
In the instructions it even casually says dont worry about sterilising the lid as the beer won't be touching it...

What a load of bull! It's turned into a huge big fermenting froth monster! It's not just touching the lid it's coming out of it!

It's came up through the airlock and frothing out everywhere on the lid but not down sides yet.

It's on carpet right now so I don't know what to do for the best.
I don't want to wake up in the morning with a carpet covered in beer but there seems to be no stopping this froth monster..

Help

yep it does that if you add too much sugars....

can you lift the vessel into a plastic tub or something ? or even lift it into the sink

piddledribble said:
yep it does that if you add too much sugars....

can you lift the vessel into a plastic tub or something ? or even lift it into the sink

I added 1kg total sugars just like it said on the tin...
The need to rework there instruction I reckon!

Well I guess I can stick it in the bath tub for the night. May be the safest option for my carpets...

It's really cold in there tho

Bathtub? How warm is it in your place. If warm you can cool the fermenter a little to make fermantation a little slower. The worst will be over in a couple of days.

johnny_dove said:
Bathtub? How warm is it in your place. If warm you can cool the fermenter a little to make fermantation a little slower. The worst will be over in a couple of days.

Yer bath tub as in a place where one gets a bath..
Not quite understanding your question mark there.

The fv is at 20C at the moment.
The bathroom is considerable colder but I guess that may not be a bad thing

Stick a binbag under the bottom of the fv. Most likely calmed down now already, as i write this. :thumb:

Haha. You posted that you had put it in the bathub while I was typing a suggestion to put it in the bathtub. Both posts have the same time stamp. That is what I meant by the question mark. As in why not put it in the bathtub:grin: Another poster had suggested a plastic tub or kitchen sink. Good thinking you were ahead of me.

By the way, a few degrees colder airtemp will affect 24 litres of beer's temp rather slowly. It will probably take over night to get it down a few degrees. If your apartment had been warm I would have suggested putting the fermenter in a cold water bath or on the balcony for a bit. But if your apartment is only 20c and bathroom even cooler I would not bother.

johnny_dove said:
Haha. You posted that you had put it in the bathub while I was typing a suggestion to put it in the bathtub. Both posts have the same time stamp. That is what I meant by the question mark. As in why not put it in the bathtub:grin: Another poster had suggested a plastic tub or kitchen sink. Good thinking you were ahead of me.

Haha that makes sense didnt realise we posted at the same time.

Well ive ended up sticking lots of binbags under the fv with a towel baracade around it too.

Got my syphon tube stuck in the airlock hole running down into a pot and the froth seems quite happy exiting through that route at the moment. I had no idea it would ferment this crazy and so quickly! Although this brew will be weak im really glad i didnt add any extra sugars haha.

Cheers for the advice everyone

I have seen other posts where peole run syphons from the fv:s in these situations. Again good thinking. Normally they put water in the receiving bucket. If hose under water it will act like a water lock.

hi chains... :thumb: .

this was mine early this week ...
005_zps96801b68.jpg

so i put my tube in ...

006_zps1ddde6b2.jpg

007_zpsf0accdf0.jpg

008_zps114af6b9.jpg

done the job 100%...

regards mick... :hat: .

pittsy said:
lol you've got your brew by your bed , well at least you can keep your eye on it :thumb:
yep ...
thats the plan... :thumb: ...
its now in the second fv...i transferd it this weekend...
004_zps67e87549.jpg

so this coming sunday ill bottle it ...
if all goes well...

regards mick... :hat: .

Cheers for all the advice, helped loads.

Well it's been a week so I decided to rack to secondary for a week before bottling. The original fv was so dirty and full of crud I feel better it being in a nice clean fv now. Added a Camden tab too.

The sg is now at 1009 and had a sneaky taste. It's good!

Well happy so far, can't wait to bottle and let it mature a bit.

Yeh ive always been afraid of this, its why ive always used 33l fvs and i havnt yet had a problem. Having said that there is a coopers stout going ape poop right next to me as we speak so i may have to eat my words

Latest posts

Back