Help on hop ratios please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvj2000

Reaction score
I have been lazy recently and started to use a pale ale kit to get my IBU's (so no need for a boil).

I'm doing a 23L/5G batch. Pale ale base. (which I top up with LME) to be around 2.9kg LMEish. And add 500g brewing sugar) just under 5% at the end (I need to be a good boy I was drinking too may 6% bottles every week).

I have my hop pellets. But I cannot work out my ratios. I cannot seem to find a recipe using them all.
150g/5.39oz Ahtanum
100g/3.5oz Citra
100g/3.5oz Mosaic
50g/1.7oz Azzaca

I want to simulate whirlpool buy doing a hop tea at the start (or just put the hop bag in the hot malt + 5l and leaving it in until its topped up to 23l) and dry hop once close to the end of fermentation for 4 days .

What amounts of each should I use where? Or shall I just do half hop tea half dry hop? Also any other ideas of making it better please advise.

If i can save some for another 23L batch that would be great as it would be more cost effective for me.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't think you'd need to use anywhere near 400g for a Pale Ale, so that's a good start. Are you aiming for a North American Pale Ale? Those hops look like you are.

I think that Azacca is a decent bittering hop at 60 mins, Maybe like 10-20g? maybe a bit more at 20 mins. Citra and Mosaic will be good at 10 mins (20g each?), 0 mins (20g each?) and DH (20-30g?). I put 200g of Mosaic into DH for a 20L batch that came out great, but was probably a bit OTT.

I've not used Ahtanum much, but I think that Brew Dog use it in a lot of beers. I think they use it as a mid boil bittering/flavour hop but I'm not sure of the profile.

Does that help? I'd check out what hops these are similar to and then see if there are any recipes online that mix the hops that you have (or their substitutes).

Latest posts

Back