help with BIPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking for some guidance with AG#3. I want to do a realy hoppy strong black ipa. But no idea what hops to use.
For my fermentables I have these allready I was thinking
6kg Maris otter
200g chocolate malt
200g carrafa 3
250g crystal?
250g dextrose
400g molasses
Est og 10.88
Est ABV 8.6
Colour 35
I have some black malt aswell if needed.
Hops I have in stock are
200g Amarillo
100g Columbus
100g simcoe
100g cascade
100g Magnum
100g ahtanum
25g Nelson sauvin
I just don't know how to put these together anyone got any ideas?

I like Black IPAs to have an orange vibe to them - kinda like a chocolate orange in a glass thing. So I guess Amarillo will be your friend here.

Looking for some guidance with AG#3. I want to do a realy hoppy strong black ipa. But no idea what hops to use.
For my fermentables I have these allready I was thinking
6kg Maris otter
200g chocolate malt
200g carrafa 3
250g crystal?
250g dextrose
400g molasses
Est og 10.88
Est ABV 8.6
Colour 35
I have some black malt aswell if needed.
Hops I have in stock are
200g Amarillo
100g Columbus
100g simcoe
100g cascade
100g Magnus
100g ahtanum
25g Nelson sauvin
I just don't know how to put these together anyone got any ideas?

Combination wise pretty much any of those would work together (magnum for bittering), so work out what ibu you want and go from there. I'd have thought with that og you'd want about 60 ibu at least. Then large amounts of late/flame out and dry hops in pretty much any combo. It's gonna be a big beer!

My go to receipe book greg hughes' home brew beer uses Apollo for bittering and citra and Amarillo for late hops for the BIPA receipe in his book. There are a a few forumites who have had a crack at making black IPA's. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find the threads

here's what I've come up with how's it look to you chaps?

Screenshot_2016-05-12-10-45-53.png

My go to receipe book greg hughes' home brew beer uses Apollo for bittering and citra and Amarillo for late hops for the BIPA receipe in his book. There are a a few forumites who have had a crack at making black IPA's. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find the threads

That recipe looks really good. I will be making that myself as soon as i get the yeast and Carafa3.

Bump! I was hoping to get this brewed over the weekend, do these hops look good for it, I wasn't sure about using the simcoe with it being a bittering hop.

Double bump! C'mon chaps I won't hold you responsible if it tastes terrible.

It won't taste terrible. Amarillo and simcoe will be great. Very citrusy.

You've got nearly 80 IBU, which given your abv is not excessive, but it will pack a good bitter punch.

It would be way strong for my tastes but if you're after a big beer this will deliver!

Thanks Gareth I was looking for plenty of bitterness. I may tone the Magnum down a little yet though. Can't wait to get brewing, roll on weekend

Back