Heriot-Watt Brewing and Distilling course

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@hoppyscotty - another possibility, if you are looking to reduce cost, is the re-use of dry hopping hops as bittering hops in a following batch. I have not tried it myself but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work provided you can adjust your recipe for using wet hops and you are happy to use your dry hop variety for bittering bittering. By using wet hops, you would also also be reducing wort losses compared with rehydrating dry hops in the boil. More faffing!
I have done this a few times when I am following one brew after the other, it works well and conserves precious leaf hops for me, I cannot obtain leaf hops in South Africa where I live so have to get them when relatives visit, that is why I do it. I also finger my trub, why waste precious ale, I also get more from my whirlpool hops with a squeeze, I just use very fine mesh bags nothing fancy and get good results.

This week I got my mark back for my packaging and filtration essay which I am sooo chuffed with.... ok allow me the wee bit of celebration but It's my second highest mark over the last 4 modules and some lovely feedback comments. It was an essay on the requirements for packaging a new ready to drink formulation of a gin and tonic mix, with a second part on considerations for sustainable packaging and manufacture. The sustainability part was right up my street (I previously had responsibility for NHS National services sustainable healthcare which helped). I was particularly nervous about this essay as I'd not had as long to write it as I'd have liked as I got the submission date wrong and only realised a few days before so had to write the essay from my notes into the early morning hours.

I now have to decide what my next two modules are to be for the start of next year. Cereals, malting and mashing is a core module so that's one, but I've options on:
  • Environmental Impact Assessment
  • Chemistry of Food
  • Food Processing
  • Management in the Food and Beverage Industries
I'd love to do the Chemistry of food but I realised in the previous module on wort boiling that I'm more a physics geek girl, so the environmental impact assessment might play more to my strengths.. .it doesn't sound all that interesting though. While yes I do a management job, do I really want to spend 12 weeks on management theory... umm that'll be a not really. So maybe food processing... hmm.

It's my second highest mark over the last 4 modules and some lovely feedback comments
Hurrah
The sustainability part was right up my street (I previously had responsibility for NHS National services sustainable healthcare which helped).

...Cereals, malting and mashing is a core module...
  • Environmental Impact Assessment
  • Chemistry of Food
  • Food Processing
  • Management in the Food and Beverage Industries
I'd love to do the Chemistry of food but I realised in the previous module on wort boiling that I'm more a physics geek girl, so the environmental impact assessment might play more to my strengths.. .it doesn't sound all that interesting though. While yes I do a management job, do I really want to spend 12 weeks on management theory... umm that'll be a not really. So maybe food processing... hmm.
I think this comes down partly to why are you doing this - is it to make better homebrew, is it largely for pure intellectual interest, or - given that it's presumably costing you some ££ - do you want to get some career benefit out of it? And the other consideration is how hard you want to work - are you finding it a struggle to fit everything in so an easy option would help your schedule, or are you prepared to challenge yourself a bit, both timewise and intellectually?

If you've a background in sustainability then I assume EIA will be easy but even more boring than it would be for normal folk, it won't help your homebrew but could be useful on your CV, particularly if you found yourself applying for specific jobs with say a medical device manufacturer.

Similarly with the management course - it may be a bit more intellectually challenging, won't help your homebrew, but if you've not had much management training then it will probably have some immediate use in your current job as well as being A Good Thing on your CV for pretty much any job you might go for in the future. And especially if you ever went into F&B...

I think you've got to look at the other two in the context of your malt/mashing module. It's going to have a lot of (bio)chemistry so if that isn't really your thing, you might benefit from having the chemistry module that helps explain what's going on rather than doing something completely unrelated. Probably your best option from a homebrew perspective.

Food processing could be anything - could be very engineering led, again could have a lot of chemistry, I guess it may have a bit of tox and microbiology which may be more your thing, again I guess it may support the malt/mashing module but more on the commercial side.

I'm always doing EIA's. I even stopped buying Fage Yogurt from Greece and buy locally produced Greek style instead. However, when I brew my EIA's go out the window. I don't (unlike a select few 😉) recycle my co2. And I did buy a Fage to make my latest sour :roll: as well as ordering a pile of NZ hops without even checking their EIA.

I'm calling it EIA-lite tm
Where you choose what you acquire based on a quick calculation of distance/quality/price.

@Northern_Brewer oh that’s a really thoughtful perspective. As to why I’m spending quite a bit on this and what I hope to get out of the course … that’s a difficult one 🙈.

I enjoy doing something so completely different from the day job, love the challenge, and the positive feedback is something that rarely happens in my line of work. I have this vague retirement idea of doing something with a brewery ... or maybe something with Diagio. Career wise I think I may have one more substantive move before retirement but that's all a bit theoretical. At the very least within the next 5 or so years I'd like to be brewing at the 4-6BBL scale and selling locally really.

OK, that sounds like the EIA is out but all of the others could bring something useful (and don't underestimate the importance of management even if you're running quite a small business of you're own), it's hard to know without more detail on the management and processing modules in particular, but I think it's ultimately up to you to figure out what's best. I'll merely note two things :
the positive feedback is something that rarely happens in my line of work.
That in itself sounds a reason to ASAP at least start a few speculative applications to the likes of Diageo and other drinks businesses....
I'd like to be brewing at the 4-6BBL scale and selling locally really.
That seems to be a really tough part of the market, it seems to work better to either go smaller - say 3bbls for sale primarily through your own tap, or go bigger like 10bbls and you can afford to employ someone to do a lot of the sales work. Selling (profitably) to the trade is really tough in this market.

Latest posts

Back