herms mash over rinsing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_loves_beer

Reaction score
it looks like im finally aproaching my first brewday since before christmas :D . its the first flight of my herms system too. the question i cant seem to find an answer for is, can you over rinse your grain with a herms, if i have it re circulating for the entire mash time will it extract tannins? i havnt heard of people mention this ever. is it possible? is it as simple as making sure you have excess grain to ensure its not all spent by the time you reach you final volume? :wha:

Over rinsing only occurs if you sparge for to long and the tannins get extracted as the Ph rises as HERMs does not dilute the mash it will not extract the tannins.

Cool, so it would only happen if I was trying to get too much out of the grain. And even after I have fly sparged to my final volume the grain wouldn't be that exhausted If I just undershoot efficency to make sure. Is that correct ? :hmm:

If you work on 75% effeciency you won't go far wrong, I used to use a refractometer when sparging and stop at 1010/1008, with a hydrometer it is a little harder as the temperature effects the reading, there was a thread last week about hydrometer reading correction whilst sparging to take into account the temperature.

Now I use a different method and full volume herms so I don't sparge at all.

Latest posts

Back