Hi guys/gals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue666

Reaction score
My names Sue how do you do ? :cheers: At the start of March we decided to have a go at some damson wine using damsons from our garden which we froze last year.This is our first proper attempt having tried 7yrs ago and failed when we first moved here.We have 2 demijohns snuggled near the bathroom radiator and they've bubbled away nicely for the last 3wks until finally slowing down almost to a stop in the last few days.I think we're doing ok so far but would like some confirmation from other more experienced brewers.Once fermentation stop I think its a case of racking every few weeks whilst storing in a cool dark place.Any advice or opinion welcome please. :thumb:

Hi always good to see another female on the site, don`t know much about wine but I`m sure someone else will advise you soon.

buy a hydrometer and check the gravity reading, white wine stops around 997 and red 993 according to the books i have read but all mine apart from one or two no matter what the type stop around 988 wich is dry.

maybe a better idea to post in the wine and cider discussions section youll get good answers there

sue666 said:
I think we're doing ok so far but would like some confirmation from other more experienced brewers. Once fermentation stop I think its a case of racking every few weeks whilst storing in a cool dark place. Any advice or opinion welcome please.
Hi Sue, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

Sounds to me like you've got things pretty well sussed :thumb:

A week or two after fermentation seems to have finished, rack to disinfected and rinsed DJs, and leave in that cool, dark place for a couple of months, then rack again and leave for a while longer before bottling.

Crush one campden tablet into the receiving jar each time you rack, but not “every few weeks”, it should only need two rackings around 1 & 3 months.

Thanks all for your advice.Think the wine has now stopped fermenting but will leave it another day or two to make sure.I have a hydrometer which 1st reading was 1080 then next was 1020 so will take another when racking into dj next time.I'm quietly confident that we've got it right this time and hopefully will be enjoying a glass or six next christmas :drink: Happy brewing to all ....... :cheers:

Latest posts

Back