High abv not carbing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subtle Duck

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've brewed an 11.6% quad with 1214 and it's been in the bottle for about 2 weeks now. Out of curiosity I've popped one open and it's not carbed at all, very minor hiss the bottle opened.
What's anyone's thoughts on carefully opening each bottle and adding a tiny pinch of champagne yeast (then recapping) to try and get them fizzy?

What temp have you had them at?

Id say you should have enough yeast in them. How much priming sugar did you use.

The question always comes up. Always seem to to longer to carb than you would expect.

buddsy

I had that problem on a quad years ago too. I had added fresh yeast but it was just too toxic an environment for the yeast I used. My concern with champers yeast would be how much of the residual sugar it would chew through and create potential bottle bombs. Good luck with whatever you decide. Pretty disappointing to get a flat beer, especially a Belgian.

It went from fg:1.103 to fg:1.015 so im not too concerned about residual sugars the champers yeast can eat (if the Belgium yeast didn't eat it I'm sure the champagne wont). I'd added enough sugar to put the co2 per bottle to about 2.8 volumes. I seem to never have this problem carbing big beers with notty, but I guess that's because it's a beast.

I've done this successfully. Only need a few grains of champagne yeast in each bottle. I believe that champagne yeast can only work on simple sugars so I wouldn't worry about it chewing through the complex sugars you've got left

That's what I was thinking oneflewover, just got to get everything set up for the transfer and rebottling tomorrow on my day off

That's what I was thinking oneflewover, just got to get everything set up for the transfer and rebottling tomorrow on my day off
Transfer and rebottling? Don't you just want to take caps off one at a time, sprinkle a few grains of yeast in then recap? You could probably even use the same cap, think I did

Maybe wrote that a little wrong. Was planning on just what was written above. With the idea of using the same cap, unless warped from opening. I've got my ferrari capper waiting for a speedy recap

I had that problem on a quad years ago too. I had added fresh yeast but it was just too toxic an environment for the yeast I used. My concern with champers yeast would be how much of the residual sugar it would chew through and create potential bottle bombs. Good luck with whatever you decide. Pretty disappointing to get a flat beer, especially a Belgian.
Champagne/wine yeast don't consume maltose or maltotriose, so this shouldn't be an issue. On top of that, many are 'killer' yeasts that excrete proteins that are toxic to many other yeasts, so there's a good chance the remaining primary yeast will be put out of action, making it more stable if aged.

I've had good results with Lalvin Ec1118, which is tolerant to 18% and very fast working.

I use EC118 in mead all the time. It's a great yeast.

I also didn't know what else he'd put into the beer. It's rare for a quad to just have malt without at least some form of sugar added.

I did put 1kg of home made candisyrup in the brew. But as suggested above, I'm guessing this was consumed by the 1214.

What's the beer like anyway? A good dose of co2 will really bring it to life. How many volumes did you prime for?

Let's say you can tell it's strong but think it will condition well after a few months.
I'd put enough sugar in each bottle to get 2.8 volumes. I really wanted it to be in line with most Belgian beers

Back