Undercarbed All Grain - can it be fixed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
I brewed an Amber ale but the fermentation seemed to finish very quickly - 3 days - and the FG was a bit high. So I added more yeast which did nothing.

I left it in the fermenter for about two and a half weeks then batch primed using one of the calculators - if anything I went a bit higher with the dextrose and bottled it.

So after 3 weeks I tried one and it's flat! only a tiny amount of carb. It tasted OK - not off.

Is it likely this will continue to carb? previous beers have always been fine within 2-3 weeks although when using a different yeast -US-05 - this yeast was Lallemand and I have been put off using it again because of the fast ferment and now the under carb, never had carb issues before - well one that was well over!

Have I somehow removed all traces of remaining yeast? is this Lallemand stuff prone to this. Still new to A/G so no clue what I might have done.

Should I just dump this batch or could I add a bit of sugar to each bottle to see if it will improve carb? did the quick fermentation just remove all the yeast? I cold crashed and racked to another vessel before bottling. Are there any methods to rescue this batch.

Any help from you experts out there would be great as I don't want to waste this brew.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a difficult one, as if you re-opened each bottle, then added something (like SO-5 yeast to re start) to them, presumably by adding to the whole batch, then you may influence the flavour of the beer....oxidation, sourness, etc, etc.

It would be my thoughts that consider this one a learning experience, and the beer, pour each bottle into a jug when decanting than move to a nucleated glass to drink ; so you get some froth on top.

Which Lallemand yeast was it ?

I bottle all brews and as soon as the fermentation is complete. The Beer will be less clear than leaving to clear in the fermenter for a prolonged time , but it works for me as I have realised over the years that any slight cloudiness at that point contains the yeast to prime your bottle.

Hope this helps somewhat !

David.

Thanks for the replies.

The bottles were stored at 22c for two weeks then moved to a slightly cooler place for another week. Done that many times before without issues.

The yeast was Lallemand BRY 97

I was thinking that a prolonged stay in the fermenter was not good - never left one this long before - normally about 1.5 weeks at most. I am about to start kegging which should negate this issue but I would still like to bottle now and again.

If there is no sediment..

Rehydrate some yeast.
Flat remove the caps (they will then reseal)
Syringe a bit out
Zevro at 1/2 tsp.
Reseal.
Warm place.

Don't chuck it. I doubt you will have got rid of all of the yeast, as far as I know its not possible to do that (without filtering or pasteurising).

I'd just open, stick in some sugar and re-seal.

Thanks all,

I should have said that when opening the bottle there is a very small amount of hiss but no head so I think the yeast is not dead.

I think I am going to open them and dose with 1/2 teaspoon (500ml bottle) and see how it goes but this is all very useful info for future cock ups!

Please explain "Zevro" not heard of that before :roll:

Latest posts

Back