Hop Growing in the garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know when you should expect to see the Hop cones forming? My hops are now huge but no sign of flowers yet?

It depends on the variety as different types flower at different times, but generally speaking mid-late July to mid September cones are ready to be harvested.

On a different note, next time I find seeds in a hop packet I'm gonna try and grow a plant. I think it was on JBK there's a huge thread where someone had done this successfully, although they planted 200 seeds and 1 took.

It depends on the variety as different types flower at different times, but generally speaking mid-late July to mid September cones are ready to be harvested.

On a different note, next time I find seeds in a hop packet I'm gonna try and grow a plant. I think it was on JBK there's a huge thread where someone had done this successfully, although they planted 200 seeds and 1 took.

You cant grow named varieties from seed.

You cant grow named varieties from seed.

You can, it's just the characteristics are likely to be quite different. For a carbon copy, grow from rhizome, but for something different grow from seed. And I quite like the idea of growing my very own hop!

Planted my rhizome earlier this week...the instructions say to kill off bugs that may munch the plant with pesticide spray but I'm concerned that this may affect the beer, the taste etc....any thoughts on this from home growers?

FAO Robin....this was the First Gold I mentioned in the other thread in this sub-forum. As you can see I posted this when I planted it in late April. It was literally a bunch of roots wrapped in soil and plastic with the tiniest little white shoot poking up. Now here it is 2 mths later:

WP_20160621_07_32_49_Pro.jpg

It's prob about 5.5 ft tall now and I'm already having to extend the string so it will run beyond the stake and prob up the wall of the house

I'm very pleased with my progress, for scale the fence is 8/9ft high, should be a great harvest!

If I manage to harvest enough I'll be willing to share with anyone local.

456baa1a009efe633d2057a76b9c9a10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAO Robin....this was the First Gold I mentioned in the other thread in this sub-forum. As you can see I posted this when I planted it in late April. It was literally a bunch of roots wrapped in soil and plastic with the tiniest little white shoot poking up. Now here it is 2 mths later:

View attachment 5902

It's prob about 5.5 ft tall now and I'm already having to extend the string so it will run beyond the stake and prob up the wall of the house
..nice one..rhizome is the way to go..
by the way, thats not a hop..
its a tryphid..

Found 4 of these little sh!ts eating my Phoenix hop plant this morning http://www.uksafari.com/comma.htm according to UK Safari their favourite food is hop plant....

Found another one this morning..!! Little sh...thing... was munching happily on a leaf. So, with Mrs. M wearing one of her 'be kind to little creatures' heads, I relocated the little treaure. Using one of those bendy plastic rulers, I was able to give it a flying lesson. It's amazing how far they travel given appropriate purchase and it's now residing 5 or 6 gardens away...! Result!!! :whistle:......mrs. m :nono:

Ladybirds eat caterpillars. you could make a ladybird habitat next to the hops to try and get more to your garden, and you can also buy ladybirds in the post. They're good for eating aphids too.

I'm looking into this with some trepidation. My back garden is huge and a notorious suntrap so i'd probably run some some of them around the back near the leylandii (which will be chopped to encourage plant growth).

My only query is getting particular strains - i'd like to get my hands on some West Coast hops (Chinook, Columbus, Amarillo etc.) but presume these are nigh impossible to come across? If so will fire in some Cascade plants early next year.

Any tips on where to get rhizomes from?

I'm looking into this with some trepidation. My back garden is huge and a notorious suntrap so i'd probably run some some of them around the back near the leylandii (which will be chopped to encourage plant growth).

My only query is getting particular strains - i'd like to get my hands on some West Coast hops (Chinook, Columbus, Amarillo etc.) but presume these are nigh impossible to come across? If so will fire in some Cascade plants early next year.

Any tips on where to get rhizomes from?

I got mine from these people: [URL="www.essentiallyhops.co.uk"URL] . Don't think they'll be available just now, but Nov/Dec time should be ok. They keep a good selection of different varieties, not sure about the West Coast ones though

Ladybirds eat caterpillars. you could make a ladybird habitat next to the hops to try and get more to your garden, and you can also buy ladybirds in the post. They're good for eating aphids too.

Yeah...I could.....but I prefer instant results. Thanks for the tip though:thumb:

A significant lower portion of my plant is now yellow...think ill add some feed

Had a bit of an issue with my string snapping (lesson learnt for next year). Managed to prop her all back up, albeit sagging a bit I think I'll be ok until harvest. Although I suspect I'm going to have a lot of Whitbread Goldings to last me though a great amount of brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back