Hop Tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've recently tried to brew a chocolate orange porter, only there's no reference to any orange in the final result.
It finished brewing around Thuesday last week, and it's still sat in the FV ready for racking off in to a keg, but before I do this I want to try and pep up the orange flavour by using Mandarina Bavaria hops.

Now for obvious reasons, I can't add these to the boil, so I intend to make a hop tea and add this to the keg at the same time as racking.

But how ????

I guess the best method would be to boil sterilise a jug, boil the kettle and allow the water to cool to about 60 - 70 degrees before adding some hops.

It's a 23l brew, so how many hops would you add to the tea, how much water and for how long should I let it steep.

For amounts I kind of think of hop teas like dry hopping so I do at least 20g-25g. I've never used mandarina bavaria before so dont know how much orangeyness X amount would give

For method: The amount of water doesnt really matter I dont think. For 23L brewlength I use 1L. Boiling a kettle and using a jug would work fine. Then just pass the tea through a seive. I just boil the water in a pot instead of the kettle cool in the sink. Chuck the hops in and pass through a seive. Some people use a caffetier(sp), which I understand works really well

Dont go more than 20-30 mins for the steep as you can extract hop tannins. Your right with the steep temp 60C-70C is good

I added orange zest to the boil, the final wort was much like a chocolate orange.
The final result has no orange characteristics at all.

I guess the trouble with lequeur is the amount required.
It could be expensive if you need to chuck a whole bottle in, but i'm open to suggestions for next time.

You could try the home baking section of a supermarket, they have all sorts of essences there including orange .
Got some Niellsen massey vanilla paste from Sainsburys and that worked well for me so maybe an essence adding in bottling migh t work.

I've used Mandarina Bavaria in a few brews. If it tastes at all of oranges, I certainly couldn't detect it. Some American or New Zealand hops definitely taste citrussy, even very like grapefruit. But, for me, MB was very much an older noble-hop style. Perhaps I got a duff batch, but I don't think so.
For orange flavour from zest, I wouldn't put it in the boil - it wil be very volatile & I'd expect it to be driven off pretty quickly.
Why not try using it like dry-hopping? The alcohol should help a lot to get it into solution.

Out of interest:
http://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-make-orange-extract/

Back