Hot side aeration?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting Video but unless I am missing something where does it explain about hot side aeration. He does seem to be talking about beer all the way through again unless I have missed it in the vid.
He does mention the expensive DO meter but that is just a measuring tool so as you only have 20-25 minutes to sort this how do you remove the DO already in the beer you have measured?.
So my question is how critical is hot side aeration for the homebrewer as I have always been taught that the yeast needs this and I have never worried about it.
Oxygen after fermentation or maybe even in the last parts of is a No No is what I have been taught too.
Open for debate chaps
I guess when I was watching it I 'read between the lines' especially when he was talking about ways to reduce DO in beer and minimising splashing of wort at any and every stage. Also I might be getting my knickers in a twist between the podcast and this video on DO.

My assumption is that the two things are intrinsically linked. Ultimately the problem hot side aeration contributes to is increased DO, which causes issues further down the line, so hot side aeration is just one possible root cause of increased DO.

No problem Hoppy was just asking as he never mentioned Wort/Hot side. I thought it would be a mix up as you are pretty on the ball.
Ps I still think it does not matter IMO on the hot side athumb..

No problem Hoppy was just asking as he never mentioned Wort/Hot side. I thought it would be a mix up as you are pretty on the ball.
Ps I still think it does not matter IMO on the hot side athumb..
Not sure about 'on the ball'. I'm well aware of the 'Dunning Kruger affect' and aware that I'm somewhere on the initial slope of it :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back