How long after opening FV can I wait before packaging?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another newbie question. I've had a brew (St Peter's Red Ale) fermenting for about 17 days now. I opened the lid for the first time just now and FG seems to be where I want it. But now that I've cracked the lid (and replaced the airlock with a solid bung), how soon should I package it? My plan was to bottle it but I now want to cold crash for a couple of days and then keg it in a new PB I've not yet ordered. In other words, I won't be ready to keg it for perhaps another 4 days minimum. Is that OK? Or once I've opened the lid, is there a danger of oxidation starting to do its stuff? I was careful not to agitate the wort. All I did was to float a (sterilised) hydrometer in it, then immediately replaced the lid. Will I be OK for a few days? Thanks.

Another newbie question. I've had a brew (St Peter's Red Ale) fermenting for about 17 days now. I opened the lid for the first time just now and FG seems to be where I want it. But now that I've cracked the lid (and replaced the airlock with a solid bung), how soon should I package it? My plan was to bottle it but I now want to cold crash for a couple of days and then keg it in a new PB I've not yet ordered. In other words, I won't be ready to keg it for perhaps another 4 days minimum. Is that OK? Or once I've opened the lid, is there a danger of oxidation starting to do its stuff? I was careful not to agitate the wort. All I did was to float a (sterilised) hydrometer in it, then immediately replaced the lid. Will I be OK for a few days? Thanks.
Yeah, it sounds like you are careful not to introduce unnecessary nasties so you will be fine. Once fermented the beer has alcohol and a lower PH which protects it a lot more than at the beginning of fermentation. In regards to oxidation, you should be fine if you didn't agitate it much so don't worry, it'll be great.
I would suggest taking a sample of beer out in order to take the gravity reading rather than float the hydrometer in the vessel, though. Plus this way you get to try a sample to see how it's going.

Latest posts

Back