Hydrometer/Potential Alcohol Table

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrsy86

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been looking for a Hydrometer/potential Alcohol Table and found this over at The gift of Wine....

Hydrometer.jpg

Just wondering if this type of thing is accurate and reliable ? Where it says Potential Alcohol does it mean thats what it will get to if you dont stop the fermentation with Wine Stabaliser or are there other factors like heat and such that affect how much sugar s converted ?

Many Thanks

Marrsy

it looks quite accurate but the only problem is. it doesnt say when the fermentation stops. if it has a general stoping point of.. lets say.. 0.998 then that looks pretty accurate to me.

Useful as a guideline, but neither accurate nor relibale.

Potential Alcohol usually assumes fermentation will stop at 1.000, which it almost never does.

There are all sorts of factors which might influence the final gravity reading, but in winemaking and with fully fermentable sugars it can often get down to 0.990, give or take a bit.

In contrast, when brewing beers there will be some level of non-fermentable sugars, and the types of beers I brew typically finish in the range of 1.010 -1.015

I knocked up a quick spreadsheet, going on the principle that most wines will ferment to at least 0.995 so I used that as my figure. >Spreadsheet<

Good Stuff HLA, think I will stick with yours, mind if I pass it onto a friend also as he is currently using the spreadsheet I linked.

Cheers

Marrsy

Carry on I may make some adjustments but the link should stay the same.

Back