I love my yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone else talk to their yeast?

Every time I open a packet - whether it's dried or a smack-pack - or (recently) 'One I Grew Earlier', I marvel at the little devils. You can dry it, freeze it - and keep it tucked up somewhere for faaaasands of years, and the little buggers will just jump straight up and start humping their little hearts out (metaphorically).

I'm tempted to buy a microscope so I can watch them at it.

Two little points of interest here:
1. The title of this message is not something you usually hear shouted outside of doctor's surgeries, &
2. I really should stop writing messages after I've been slurping 9+% beers!

:cheers:

Tony said:
Does anyone else talk to their yeast?

Every time I open a packet - whether it's dried or a smack-pack - or (recently) 'One I Grew Earlier', I marvel at the little devils. You can dry it, freeze it - and keep it tucked up somewhere for faaaasands of years, and the little buggers will just jump straight up and start humping their little hearts out (metaphorically).

I'm tempted to buy a microscope so I can watch them at it.

Two little points of interest here:
1. The title of this message is not something you usually hear shouted outside of doctor's surgeries, &
2. I really should stop writing messages after I've been slurping 9+% beers!

No, you mad-man.

:rofl:

And I thought I had a strange yeast thing :cheers: :grin:

Never thought to name them :wha: does it help :hmm:

If you get a cheep source for microscope do tell :clap: :thumb:

Stone Cold said:
you need a baby name book, bloody millions of little yeasty things

Bugger, I managed to get to two names then came up blank :wha:

How about just numbering them? Or do you think they might get offended :?

I don't talk to my yeast but I do talk to any of my beer or wine whilst they are fermenting. I greet them with a good morning ladies and refer them to big ladies (over 10 Gallons) and little Ladies.

I'm voting for Yeast in the next elections, one for the small man who has given us more than any of the other clowns in charge.
Vote Yeast your No.1
:thumb:

gurtpint said:
craigite said:
Stone Cold said:
How about just numbering them? Or do you think they might get offended :?

"That yeast is not a number, he's a free man!"

But yesterday was 10.10.10 (101010) which is binary for 42, the ANSWER TO EVERYTHING
So yeast is a free man that is the answer to everything.
Yes, the ideal lodger to no10.
Another voter for yeast.

All hail yeast.

^You are running rings around my argument. 42 it is, the Ultimate Answer! Never thought it was to be found in humble yeast, which just goes to prove the astounding ability of a man to make a fool out of himself. Respect the Yeast, dammit!

watched a doc on bbc iplayer last night called CELL .spark of life and in that they mixed the part of a jelly fish that glows and modified yeast to glow in the dark. now im thinking glow in the dark beer, does anyone know how to mutate cells and stuff? :wha:

ollie :D

Wow :shock:
I just pull mine out of the freezer, warm it up, stir it up, chuck in fermenter, and wash and freeze and repeat.
Never thought about it's feelings before maybe I should treat it to a day out now and then?

craigite said:
But yesterday was 10.10.10 (101010) which is binary for 42, the ANSWER TO EVERYTHING

I have been having a bit of a mid-life crisis :wha: :wha: moment this week especially after realising that I am now above average age for members on this site. But if 42 is the answer to everything then I am 42 next year so should it all clear up next year? :hmm: :hmm:

I normally give them a little 'speech' before inoculating my wort with them. Just a tradition I have from my first AG I did, and it's stuck (though none have my fermentations have!). :thumb:

muddydisco said:
Wow :shock:
I just pull mine out of the freezer, warm it up, stir it up, chuck in fermenter, and wash and freeze and repeat.
Never thought about it's feelings before maybe I should treat it to a day out now and then?

That would probably be a good idea. Just make sure that you'll don you best suit and treat it to a minimum of a three course meal plus a fancy colorful drink with an umbrella, not the old fish'n chips routine. As a reformed kit brewer from the dark days of the 90's I'm starting to learn to appreciate my dear yeasties.

Ain't it trur to some extent "Brewers make wort, Yeast make Beer" Including a lot of the flavour, we go to a lot of effort choosing grains and hops !

Latest posts

Back