Ice cream porter help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave8576

Reaction score
Hey folks
I'm just about to attempt a 'ice cream' style porter like Thornbridge's 'Lucaria'.
Trouble is I can't seem to find much info on how to get the really creamy nature of the beer.
I have got some idea the you use lactose milk sugar ( like that used to sweeten wine) in the mash? But I'm unsure & have no idea how much to use.
Anyone got any views or knowledge please?
Thanks
Dave

Depends how strong the beer is and how sweet you like it really. The milk stout from Greg Hughes book uses 500g (if memory serves correctly) where as the mikkeller recipe I have used 1kg but it's a much stronger beer.

You can add lactose at beginning of boil, end or in bottling bucket. For your purposes I'd say at some point in the boil.

10% is a good starting place. Are you planning on adding vanilla too?

You may also want to consider using oats or flaked barley for a creamy mouthfeel.

Thank you guys for the replies.
I will probably aim for around 6% ABV some plan to add about 500g of lactose milk sugar to my boil at 30mins, do you think that is enough? I am looking for a medium sweetness.
I do also plan to add vanilla to the second fermenter, probably about 3 tablespoons of extract for the 5 gallon batch.
The last porter I made I add a little torrified wheat to the mash & the head on the beer was awesome.
Any additional advise would be appreciated, Thank you
Dave

Thank you guys for the replies.
I will probably aim for around 6% ABV some plan to add about 500g of lactose milk sugar to my boil at 30mins, do you think that is enough? I am looking for a medium sweetness.
I do also plan to add vanilla to the second fermenter, probably about 3 tablespoons of extract for the 5 gallon batch.
The last porter I made I add a little torrified wheat to the mash & the head on the beer was awesome.
Any additional advise would be appreciated, Thank you
Dave

I think starting lower is the way to go, once it's fermented you could always add more (boil for 15 mins just in case) if it doesn't taste sweet enough.

Latest posts

Back