Increase OG level

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Morning folks. I've just completed my first AG BiAB.
All went well I think. I let the brew cool over night and now it's in the FV.
I was hoping to hit an OG of 1040ish, but it's only 1036. Probably didn't boil off enough liquid?
Anyway, can I add brewing sugar before adding the yeast to increase the OG? If so how much?
Or do I just leave well alone and get on with fermenting. :cheers:

Congratulations on your first AG! :clap:

I've yet to venture there, but, IMHO, yes, you can add sugar if you want to increase the OG. With AG (inc BIAB), you are making your own wort from raw ingredients. With beer kits, you're reconstituting a wort that someone else has made for you. If you've already pitched your yeast, I reckon you could dissolve the sugar in hot/boiling water to make a syrup - ALLOW TO COOL - add it to the wort, and give it a stir with a sanitized paddle. Since you're early in the brewing, any sediment you stir up will have time to settle again.

M

Thanks.
That was my thoughts aswell. Not pitched the yeast yet. So I'll add some sugar now.

You can also add malt extract. Having some dried extract is a good idea cos you can measure out however much you want. Sugar increases the OG but thins out the beer. Malt extract boosts the OG and provides body and malt flavour too. I put my recipe into Brewmate (free download) and it tells me everything I need to know - and I can add malt extract to the recipe and it shows me how much the OG will increase.

I'll need to get some malt extract. Didn't have any this morning so added some sugar instead. I'll see how it goes.

Sugar is fine. As long as it's is less than about 20% or your original grain weight.

You could add 500g or so. - Demerera gives a bit of richness, but if you just want to increase the gravity then normal white is fine.

I always put it in hot water first to dissolve it if you're adding later.

Good luck with your brewing. If you have just started out think about ways of getting the temp down asap after the boil and (the most important thing) make sure to keep your mash temp stable.

Have fun! :) Nick

Sugar is fine. As long as it's is less than about 20% or your original grain weight.

You could add 500g or so. - Demerera gives a bit of richness, but if you just want to increase the gravity then normal white is fine.

I always put it in hot water first to dissolve it if you're adding later.

Good luck with your brewing. If you have just started out think about ways of getting the temp down asap after the boil and (the most important thing) make sure to keep your mash temp stable.

Have fun! :) Nick

Bit of a thread from the dead here mate. I dont think any/most of the members from this thread post here any more

Back